VCV Rack engine terminology

@LarsBjerregaard, so, now I am confused how the rack engine sample rate really works and how it all ties together.

From our conversations a year ago, with you, @Squinky @gc3, I thought I had a handle on it. In Rack v 2.06, are you saying, it works differently than v1.16? I ask, in response to your comment in the other thread, regarding setting to Auto, is best, and best for cpu loads… etcetera.

Is this why I’m getting noise on (especially) poly output? Changing Sample rate / Block Size / Number of threads has zero impact.

Mac Monterey 12.2.1 ; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

@ScreenSlave first, can you quantify noise? :- ) I am not trying to be snarky, but can you be a bit more specific regarding the type of audio anomalies you are hearing?

Secondly,

Please, let’s keep this narrow - I was speaking only to how the Engine samples settings work with Audio Interface sampling rate - How do they team up. If you read above, last year I wanted to dig into this terminology and how it works, that was v1.16. (see noted thread above) I brought up a situation, and yesterday, @LarsBjerregaard spoke to keeping it set to Auto since it is kinder to most cpu load and mentioned why. This causes me to pause thus asking the question here, again. I personally, am not seeking it kinder to cpu, and it counters what we talked about last year. Which then begs to question, in v2.0.6, does the Engine settings have a different implementation then v1.16. How the two work together…

Look at your settings, are you running ASIO … wait you’re on a macOS, I am on Windows so I cannot speak to your situation. Apologize. I have zero idea how Rack looks even on macOS. Are you keeping the engine on auto or = to your audio device sampling rate? It is highly likely it is different in the mac world, so I do not know. Honestly, there can be a lot of things causing your particular issue, and more digging/clarification will be needed to resolve.

Sure - I am hearing what sounds like distortion where the sound is breaking up and becomes bitty, even at low volumes and through the internal speakers or external speakers via a preamp.

I have tried it with auto and setting from the list to match the sample rate on the Audio module.

The difference with the MacOS is possibly to do with how multithreading works with the (in my case) 6 cores in the processor. I am not sure if this is the cause of the distortion I am hearing.

Is it possible this is the same issue as the other thread - excess CPU usage? What is they CPU usage? Do you have rack set to the default number of cores (one)?

I have it set to 3 cores which gives CPU avg / max around 60% - when I set it to one core (or 6 cores) the CPU avg / max goes over 140% and it sounds really weird.