VCV Rack 2 teaser

Some news/media links (some are re-posts and re-blogs):

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vcv-rack-2-virtual-eurorack-synth-november-vst-plugin-superbooth-223810427.html

https://www.midifan.com/modulenews-detailview-41171.htm

18 Likes

An important question for me as I have a number of customizations to port: will the free version of Rack be available as source, and what is the minimum tool chain version to build it on Linux?

Can it be November yet? We’ve re-entered lockdown after 6 days of no lockdown.

1 Like

I would be absolutely astounded if that were not the case.

1 Like
3 Likes

See VCV Rack 2 - #12 by Vortico

To build Rack 2, you’ll need to follow all the instructions on VCV Manual - Building when the source is released.

1 Like

Ok. That makes source availability clear, but I’m more concerned with which versions of GCC and friends will be required. If Rack 2 builds with the same tool chain that Rack 1 built with, I have no worries. My question comes from Vital’s and Surge’s failure to compile with gcc 5.5.0 which is the latest on my distro.

Not sure, the latest version of GCC is 11.2. GCC 5.5 was released in 2017.

@Vortico ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Your questions about the Rack 2 API and build system will be answered when the Rack 2 source code is released.

2 Likes

is there a store page so i can save it for when it comes out?

just starting from the main VCV page should be fine

I have a question, Will all VCV modules be included in 2.0 or will they still be Ala carte?

Ive never commented, mainly just lurked… Im super pumped for this.

Yep. Would be cool as well if there is function in Host where u can change presets in favourite synths… also to send modulation through vst version out

Will VCV be doing any marketing of their own to highlight plugins that have been ported to Version 2?

1 Like

The newer GCC supports some new constructs, and that keeps me from building a few things. I just don’t relish a change of distro as I have over two decades with the one I’m using. I forget what version Slackware-current has, but I’d just as soon not switch until Volkerding says it’s go time. I do have a container with slackware-current for a new gimp, but running audio tools from a container is more than a little tricky.

Me too! Welcome out of lurking :slight_smile:

I think it’s been confirmed (somewhere) that nothing will change about the VCV Library model, so things will still be a la carte. (If anyone is interested in picking up some VCV modules around the time that 2.0 is released, there’s been a late-November sale three years running, so it’s not unreasonable to suspect that there will be another one!)

I can’t wait for november !!! Will it be native on apple M1 processor ? Can I hope for an iPad pro version as it’s the same processor ? Thanks for your work.

This has been discussed many times. First release will not be M1 native, but is a desired feature. iOS version is not planned at all.

2 Likes

No and no for the time being :wink:

However VCV Rack works perfectly fine under Rosetta at the moment.

2 Likes