VCV Rack 2 teaser

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Okay. I got Rack2 to run. (At all.) Yay!

Now, is there some sort of guide for migration to it? I see the VCV basic modules in my library, but no others. I’m logged in and it says that my library is “Up to date” but all the other plugins I’m subscribed to are missing. :sob:

And my original patches? - Ignoring for the moment whether or not they run once loaded. [edit - Oh. I can navigate to my old patches in four mouse clicks, but then I get an error message about all those missing plugins.]

oh, my goodness, search the forum! this has been asked answered many times.

1 Like

You have no modules and your library is up to date because you are using a"beta" version of VCV rack 2, you can install the modules for the V2 manually, or wait for the release of the V2.

Is coming, I can feel it…

If it has, those answers are deeply buried under discussions about module development. That’s not the question and does not interest me.

Maybe you are looking for this thread: https://community.vcvrack.com/t/plugins-that-are-built-for-rack-v2 , there is nothing like “the user migration guide” (at least not official), but I bet you will find many answers there such as the modules and how to install them in the beta that you have installed.

1 Like

Yes I meant your question. Why are there no modules for v2, and where do I get them. The q is currently the most popular question.

1 Like

I second that!

1 Like

So, you’re saying that Rack2 purposely won’t load plugins made for Rack v 1.1.6 because Rack2 is still in the beta stage? A temporary crippling, as were?

Again. I’m not whining about a lack of V2 modules.

V2 won’t load any modules that are for V1, that is not going to be a beta-period limitation. If a developer is not going to update modules for V2, then you won’t be able to use the modules ever in V2.

1 Like

Then there should be a sticky thread for it.

Even so, just the phrase “no modules for V2” is ambiguous.

THAT’s the kind of answers I was looking for. Thank you.

I had gotten the impression from some posts that some V1 modules might work, but there was no guarantee. Apparently not so, hence my puzzlement.

The unfinished Rack 2 source code is currently provided for plugin developers to test their plugins with the new Rack API, not to be tested by non-developer users. I recommend waiting until Rack 2.0 is released to avoid an inferior experience using an unfinished version of Rack 2 with unfinished user documentation.

16 Likes

We brave few, risking crash and ruin. I never had problems with Rack2, it builds & runs fine. I’m waiting for 8face to work properly before I can really use it seriously.

3 Likes

I have next to zero experience with VCV Rack, basically just downloaded it and tried to connect couple of modules, got out couple of sounds, that’s it. I feel it could be great as a tool in DAW (as a VST(3?) ) plugin to create custom synths/sounds, even though that is basically just scratching on the surface of this product. I guess I can expect full MIDI support, good, seamless integration into my DAW of choice (Reaper) and decent performance?

the 8face is the module to groups and save setups ? there is not a new feature to cover it in the V2?

1 Like

Yes - with the commercial version of Rack 2 (called either Studio Edition or possibly Rack 2 Pro now) - you will get seamless integration with your DAW via a VST2 plugin to start with - more plugin formats may well come later. The performance kinda depends on your computer but most people think it’s reasonable considering what it is/does.

If there is, is it sequence-able? I think you can multi-select and save groups of modules.

But the 8 face captures snapshots of multiple modules at once. My use case is to have an 8Face saving snapshots of a sequencer, the clock divider sending it clocks, and a quantizer. That way I can change chord/scales/sequencers in one go.

1 Like

I am curious if anyone has tested the VST with ES9 to ES5 (with expanders) … The VCV Implementation of interacting with ES5 blows the Silent Way plugins out of the water, I am curious if it works as I hope it does. (In that you can send complex DC Audio from VST out into your daw (using bitwig) and then to an ES9.

Any update on an ETA? The last I know was “in November 2021”.

I got to experience the new 2 channel AUDIO module with integrated volume dial and VU meters in the Rack 2 beta, which does not work in Rack 1, and your CHORDS module from Rack 1 doesn’t work with Rack 2. I read somewhere that Rack 1 VCV modules will going to be compatible with Rack 2, but I hesitate to get the other paid modules of Rack 1 until I can see they work with Rack 2.

image image

1 Like