VCV Rack 2 teaser

Enormously large thank you for all your hard work and dedication in the face of difficulties, from here Down Under!

Was not expeciing a new UI - it looks truly superb.

Thank you Andrew!

1 Like

:partying_face: Looks great!

Thanks Andrew for getting us all excited for November! Trailer looks awesome. LOVE the new cable ends. And the multiple module select/duplicate is highly appreciated!

Some of the API features look really nice, even just based on this migration text. This will certainly make development a bit easier for new comers, very nice!

Everyone in my modular group chat is talking about the UI updates and while the more skeuomorphic design is controversial, I think the general consensus is that the arrow-head patch cables are not well loved. I do see why they’re being used - you can actually see stacked cables. Still, I don’t know that I love them or the ‘real’ looking LED in/on them. I would very much so appreciate the option to customize the look of the patch cables without rebuilding rack from source.

I’m also curious if there have been improvements to the rendering such that module designers can use more complex SVG panels now without a massive performance hit as I suspect that many modules will need updates to their design language to not feel out of place next to the new designs

Finally, I feel like there’s a tad bit of inconsistency in the skeuomorphism, in the video QNT and OCT’s ‘Screens’ feel disconnected from the other design language, I don’t know what would fix this? maybe the smallest amount of bloom or a fake gleen in the glass of the “touch screen”

1 Like

https://vcvrack.com/Drums

Not sure what I think of them. At $30, Hora’s drums are both less expensive and seem to have deeper options to adjust the sound. I will concede that the large combined drum module with mixer is a clean way to drop everything in at once and that the master tune & accent controls are cool, but from trying to put Hora’s drums on a sub-mixer and then use a single channel of mindmeld’s mixer before, I fear it will run into the same problem with level issues (mixers into mixers aren’t as straight forward as they seem)

1 Like

Actually, in most modules a knob is implemented as an SVG-graphics that is rotated regarding to the value the knob is representing. In the teaser video for Rack 2, the knobs look like they are lightened from the top. So I don’t know how to implement this using a single SVG-graphics. Either the knobs are coded in C++ or the kobs are built using multiple SVG-graphics with semi-transparent grey layers between them (similar to the shadows used in Rack v1.6).

Personally, I don’t want to overhaul the GUI of my modules, but I think I “have to” for making them fit visually into Rack v2. I don’t want my modules looking “outdated”.

I suspect it’s the multiple SVG option - see Vult’s knobs.

could easily be misread as knobs

That’s close to my question. Will there be a porting guide. I have a number of no-longer-maintained things that just happen to compile. Also, I have my own utilities to port. Another concern is whether or not Slackware’s more recent GCC (5.5.0) will built it. My local Rack has a few private hacks that I’ll want to port over.

Looks like you just answered the question I just posted. Pardon me while I take my foot out of my mouth. Porting my Rack control via UNIX domain sockets will more than likely be a touch more painful. I had a hack for starting iconified (also iconify from software control) just to lighten system load a bit, but I think you had planned a headless mode that will make this completely unnecessary.

picard_clapping.gif

Looking good! (Sweet trailer too)

1 Like

I don’t forsee that being an issue, at least with the default patch cable colors. Though, if the wires are still changeable in color using Submarine’s WM-101 or just poking the config file I could see that being an issue on grayscale wires.

2 Likes

Great picture! It clearly shows the difference.

UI updates look excellent, looking very much forward to v2!

Wow Christmas’s will be in November this year🥳

4 posts were split to a new topic: mix and submix - about summing in mindmeld mixer

Great news, any alpha info?

2 Likes

Vult knobs are coded rather than SVGs iirc

I can’t WAIT to throw money at you for this!

3 Likes