VCV Rack 2 teaser

Assuming this is a good place to off shoot some questions from the development-blog now that it’s announced:

Added fix suggested by @stoermelder to allow plugins to register their own audio/MIDI drivers. For example, it will be possible to create a plugin that installs an audio driver that communicates with an Arduino over a serial connection and exposes CV as a 1000 Hz audio interface.

Will these work in the VST still? I suppose that’s part of the larger “Will extra audio interfaces work in the VST” question too

// Short circuit outputs to inputs when bypassed
configBypass(LEFT_INPUT, LEFT_OUTPUT);
configBypass(RIGHT_INPUT, RIGHT_OUTPUT);

Will bypassing a module still incur a 1-sample delay from the “ghost” module?

It’s okay, but as @prokmodular said, just use common sense. If you ran a software project, you obviously wouldn’t allow that kind of discussion on your forum.

7 Likes

Yes, the audio/MIDI driver API will still be available when running as a DAW plugin. If you interface with exclusive audio/MIDI APIs, it will obviously conflict with the DAW, but if you’re writing a driver for your custom hardware (serial USB for example) it’ll work fine, just like in the standalone version.

Technically modules don’t create sample delay, cables do. So bypassing a module will result in the same 1-sample latency relative to using 1 cable.

6 Likes

This is great to have confirmed, and I’m taking it directly to Lippold Haken regarding some very interesting I2C ports that happen to exist on some very interesting controllers :slight_smile:

This is too platform/setup/config-specific for me to ask it as a question, but I hope that, whether by FlexASIO or other trickery, the Main I/O <=> DAW <=> VCV Rack VST <=> DC-coupled I/O can be made to work, as the possibilities for that are absolutely bonkers.

So, effectively, cables don’t merge when associated modules are bypassed and split when they’re re-enabled. I’m glad to hear this–in addition to keeping the volt-propagation code considerably simpler, if bypass could change relative timing/phase it would be much less useful in certain situations.

(I know that the theme for VCV 3 is ultra-high performance; maybe the theme for VCV 4 (or 5 or 6) will be graph-theoretic approaches to 1-sample delay management? Joking (mostly), just extremely excited for the future of this platform.)

3 Likes

Port Labels! :surfing_man:

1 Like

Also, a bypassed module just calls processBypass() instead of process(). The default implementation is to apply bypass routes configured by configBypass(AUDIO_INPUT, AUDIO_OUTPUT), but you can override it if your module bypassing is more complex.

Fantastic news @Vortico !! Congrats on hitting this milestone, it’s been a slog.

How rapidly do you expect the AU plugin to follow 2.0’s release? I’ll likely purchase VCV2 when it’s released anyway to support the project, but I won’t make the switch until Logic and VCV can integrate.

Let’s Go! Congratulations to Andrew and everyone else involved!

2 Likes

Neat ,long awaited.Excellent addition to modern music making and a perfect companion to my hardware.So will purchased plugins be carried over in V2?

Thank goodness for that Andrew …never iLok

Man oh man. Can’t wait

5 Likes

Please, will VST / in-DAW plugin support be available for Linux, too? Yes, there is Jack but I want automation and Linux is the best.

1 Like

I went through all the reactions and i’m surprised. No one questions the impact of the new gui on the performance except of one person with the old laptop. I’m on the mabook pro 16 and vcv hits it hard with it’s gui rendering, eats through the battery in no time, i am forced to use it in low-res mode to have more or less stable real-time sound performance…Is this issue solved in v2? Because if it’s not optimized the last thing it needs is some new fancy gui…again, i can talk only from the mac user perspective. There no doubt will be some wise person telling me to switch to linux or whatever so to answer it right away i will add that it’s not an option at the moment for me personally.

It is admittedly not super efficient with the graphics. if you have an intel mac laptop you need to turn down the graphics. If you have any other computer, including a mac tower or an imac or mini (or any windows computer or Linux) then you are fine.

If it doesn’t work well on the computer you have that is unfortunate. Maybe you need to find a different program to use?

1 Like

Awesome! Nice one @Vortico and crew.

Which instruction sets can be used in the new V2? Did you upgrade it from SSE3? Any hope for AVX/FMA?

Im on Mac, I dont use Logic so Im fine with a VST version first. I cant wait, this is amazing. Truly such an accomplishment. My money will be waiting. Hoping Malekko Heavy Industry comes soon as well

yes , it will be available

We’re not dropping support for non-AVX CPUs in Rack 2. That will come in Rack 3.

2 Likes

2010 Macbook Pro user here. I’m going to build a PC soon so I won’t even install 2 on this ancient machine.

2 Likes