VCV Rack 2 teaser

they also acquired one of the better pro compositors - maybe shake? and immediately killed the linux version.

I might be missremembering but I seem to remember adverts for some kind of Apple net offering in the early 90s that was there own thing.

They all had them, remember MSN? This was before it was clear that the Internet and TCP/IP was a winner. But yeah, it’s pretty much a law that all companies will seek to acquire a monopoly on something, it’s the ultimate prize.

1 Like

Apple never promised they would make VST usable in Logic :slight_smile:

VCV Rack team promised there would be an AU version.

There is a difference :wink:

1 Like

I don’t recall promising an Audio Unit plugin version of VCV Rack (please correct me if I’d said otherwise), but this is certainly a feature we’d love to look into in the future.

3 Likes

I took from this this post and the VCV2 page which has said “other plugin formats coming soon” since launch that an AU plugin was in the works.

From your reply it sounds like an AU release isn’t a near-term likelihood?

3 Likes

It’s true that technically you haven’t promised AU or given dates. But with wording like “More plugin formats coming soon” on the download page, you’re certainly raising expectations for buyers, that something will happen “soon” and it’s anyone’s guess what the next format is. You might want to adjust that wording to calibrate expectations, and make it more concrete as to what and roughly when. If nothing else because disappointment is bad business.

7 Likes

I think I remember seeing “Audio unit coming soon”, but just rechecked it says “other formats coming soon”.

I’d assume AU version is part of “other formats”, as it’s pretty normal format. Pretty much all plugins, made now a days has an audio unit version, so I find it pretty reasonable to believe an audio unit would be in the works.

Iv’e seen other devs use vst/vst3 version and kind of hard “wrap” it as an audio unit. There are many audio units, that if you right click on them and select “show package content” there is actually vst version inside the audio unit, it’s just wrapped up to also show as an audio unit. I don’t think that necessarily is too hard to do and would probably work as intended since it’s not loaded in another plugin, like when using Patchwork and similar.

An example that I think is actually a vst behind the curtains is ADVerb from Audio Damage, which can be downloaded here and it’s free:

I have seen a few plugins that looks like this behind the curtains. And I am pretty sure that Cardinal version does the wrapping like this, cause the dev mentioned it at some point, cause I asked about it. He said that he could make an audio unit version, by just wrapping the vst up as an audio unit. So I am pretty confident that it is possible to do this with VCV Rack too :slight_smile:

But since there was not an audio unit in Cardinal at that time, I went and bough VCV Rack 2, cause I kind of thought “other formats coming soon” surely would include an audio unit version and it would be coming soon. I would also like to support the original development.

1 Like

I would have thought the first priority would be VST3 because surely no one would have bought Rack Pro if they didn’t have some way to use it and a number of Cubase users looking to upgrade to the new version would suddenly find Steinberg had stopped it being VST2 compatible.

Unless they changed tack from what they said was going to happen with the latest version.

To be honest yeah I think vst2, vst3 and Audio unit should all be there, all of them at the same time!

Absolutely, those are basic standard formats that ALL plugins comes in these days. Without a question. But in VCV world it seems to be an issue, which is not very understandable. If there is an issue, then hire someone to make it work, since poeple pay now, there should be money for that kind of stuff.

VCV is a paid pro software now, it even states it in the name, VCV Rack 2 PRO, so I think people are justified to ask for more formats as it is stated that there will be more formats.

It’s not open source anymore, it’s not about goodwill and “please do us a favour and implement this”, people paid for it, that’s where the big difference is from before making VCV paid software and now. The dev took the step and went “pro”. Taking peoples money for a software, comes with a lot bigger responsibility than releasing open source software.

People also have the responsibility to check the specs before buying something, goes both ways.

There is only one main developer on VCV. If he’s having to spend his time developing, maintaining and supporting multiple different plugin formats then he’s not adding any benefit to users like me and the vast majority of us here who can happily work with a VST2 version.

With their incompatible M1 release alone Apple have eaten up a huge amount of developer time across a slew of products that could have been put into fixing outstanding issues or adding sexy new functionality for those of us who didn’t wish to jump on their monopolistic bandwagon. Seems to me that entitlement - oh you all just have to support these arbitrary changes we’re making - shouldn’t be allowed to trickle down to their user base without anyone calling it out.

Apple’s walled garden approach to everything really rubs me up the wrong way.

5 Likes

We did. It said other formats. If it was just one single other format coming, it would say ANother format. It says “other formats”, which is more than one. Once again assuming that a plugin will come in more than one format in 2022 is not being unrealistic. Being a developer and thinking releasing a plugin in a soon to be outdated format vst2 is enough, is on the other hand being majorly unrealistic!

2 Likes

Not my problem, I answered that in my last comment. It’s a paid software now, which comes with a responsibility. He makes money now from VCV, he can hire someone to do it. That’s what pro developers do.

1 Like

There has been done no effort to make VCV rack M1 compatible, it runs Via Rosetta. So that’s not where any time have been spend in VCV world, so it makes no sense all what you are saying I regards to M1 and VCV. I have no seen any promises made to make VCV M1 compatible and not expecting it in years.

So I think this attempt at pushing the responsibility of lack of formats in VCV world over at Apple is bizarre!

Not VCV specific, was a comment on Apple’s MO.

Look into?? Surely you’re joking.

2 Likes

“Assumption is the mother of all F-ups”

Just because it says “more” and “soon” (both completely undefined) doesn’t mean “the specific format you want” and “currently in development”.

As a software developer I totally understand that VCV currently is very much still working on improvements and bugfixes across the platform. Yes a simple wrapper-AU could be done to mitigate this specific issue, but that could still require a lot of work especially if it has to be done from scratch (with Cardinal we use JUCE to make this wrapper, but since it’s a FOSS project we don’t have to buy a JUCE license etc.)

1 Like

No no no.

There are very few formats. Au is not something completely out there suggestion, it’s completely reasonable to expect an AU. It’s not especially hard to do. Of course it takes an effort, everything does.

It’s not that we expect miracles. Just make them and move on and have happy customers. People are not users anymore they are customers now, paying customers. Hell, maybe adding more formats will attract more paying customers :partying_face:

It’s part of having a business, supply a demand for paying customers.

2 Likes

Assuming anything taking in 0 knowledge is really not productive at all.

Especially considering the development roadmap has always been very closed and opaque I don’t see any way how you can extrapolate 0 to any useful outcome.

And sure there are paying customers, but what they bought was clear: a cross-platform VST2 plugin for intel/amd64 That’s what you should expect to get support for. Any other features/formats are extra and cannot be “assumed” or demanded.

1 Like

Acting surprised that people would like an audio unit and saying “oh, do people like AU version…… we might look into that later on” is very arrogant.

I don’t agree with what you say at all.

There are several people here thinking au version would be next in list. Rather have that, than M1 compatible version. It runs pretty decent under Rosetta.

1 Like