VCV Poly: ideas for a new standard polyphonic utilities plugin

Nuff said.

I thought of another way to describe the goal of VCV Poly. The plugin will allow interaction between the mono world and the poly world.

If you have mono modules/cables/ports and only want to interact with other mono modules/cables/ports, simply use Rack as you’ve always used it.

If you have poly modules/cables/ports and only want to interact with other poly modules/cables/ports, just use all poly-supporting modules. You won’t need a single module from VCV Poly. Modules that support poly cables should usually have only poly inputs and poly outputs.

But if you have a poly voice for example and want to hear the result in each of the L and R mono inputs of Core AUDIO, you’ll need some way to convert the poly signals to mono. In this case, you’re making the poly world interact with the mono world, so you’d want VCV Poly Mix.

4 Likes

Sneak peek

9 Likes

That looks fantastic Andrew! Love the visual design and in my book the proportions are damn near perfect. Is that Wes’ work?

Yes, all VCV panels and components are designed by @sempervirent.

4 Likes

Source is available at https://github.com/VCVRack/VCV-Poly

2 Likes

Poly modules look and work great in Fundamental v1 branch! @Vortico are you planning on creating any more of the suggested modules from this thread?

So far only one module (Rotator) has been recommended that satisfy the requirements of VCV Poly. We dropped that idea because we were unable to think of use cases, and designing a module with no use cases results in horribly designed software.

1 Like

combining rotator with split and multiple different VCO’s could be interesting, though some of the built in modes in the V1 MIDI->CV module essentially account for this use case on the MIDI generation side. Still may be worth while when used with things other than live input. It’d effectively act as a polyphonic sequential switch

Here’s a potential use case for a poly rotator:

You have a polyphonic pitch sequence and a polyphonic modulation sequence generated from two complex sequencing subpatches (that is, not just a single sequencer module.) Both are feeding a poly sound generation subpatch.

After this pattern repeats a few times, you’d like to provide a variation on the sequence by changing the relationship of the pitch sequence to the modulation sequence. Rotation of the poly channels would be one way to accomplish that. Randomization of the poly channels might be another.

Polyphonic S&H will be available from ML_modules (S&H8, with all 8 ‘channels’ being polyphonic)

2 Likes

One module, I would like to see is a poly-panner. This could be a simple additional input to the “SUM poly”, which takes another polyphonic input, defining the stereo position of each channel.

Related would be a module, which simply generates a polyphonic CV with a definable spread between the channels.

If this does bit fit in your poly core concept, let me know, then I will add them to my ML_modules.

1 Like

How about a module that takes a mono input and duplicates it into all the channels of a poly cable, instead of putting one mono cable into all 16 inputs of a merge module.

EDIT: It’d be useful for global modulation.

That shouldn’t be needed because secondary inputs that are mono are copied to all engines of a poly module. See https://vcvrack.com/manual/VoltageStandards.html#polyphony

Computerscare Modules: Roly Pouter can duplicate an individual polyphonic channel via the right click menu.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am a modular beginner. I was searching for a module to do exactly what you describe here. I know this is an old post. Does a module like this exist?

I came up with a solution using your Roly Pouter (thank you for your amazing modules!) and 8FACE (or 8FACEx2) and knobs so that I could manually control what gates and pitch information are sent to a voice.

This is cool (especially because you can create “scenes” using different Roly Pouter presets when combined with split), but I was wondering if a single module that does what you describe here exists.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi! The CV input of Roly Pouter allows a polyphonic CV signal to control the knobs. I think the expected range is 0-10v to select from input channels 1-16, but I’d recommend experimenting to be sure. The number on the knob should accurately reflect which input channel is being routed out.

Glad you find the modules useful!

Hi is this what you want to do ?

Here you can choose one of the 8 ingoing signals manually.(or with a trigger)

Oh I am understanding now. I was being silly with the 8 face. A poly into CV makes much more sense. Originally, I was after a polyphonic router (or “selector” I guess) with a monophonic output for selecting gate sequences manually, but I am actually discovering how nice it is to have polyphonic outputs for ghost-notes or splitting between voices and stuff like that, which is all totally possible with Knoly Pobs and Roly Pouter. Thank you for the help!

1 Like

Yes something like this with a monophonic output was more along the lines of what I originally looking for (except controlled by CV/knob). But am realizing that finding a specific module to do this is a little silly when I can just split the Roly Pouter output. Thank you for the help!

1 Like