VCV 3-minutes challenge Ep.5: The (Ugly) Alien Ping

For my entry(ies), I decided to apply an emulation of a 3 voice complex oscillator I have been working on - the Future Sound Systems OSC2 Recombination Engine. See my PatchStorage upload for more info about the hardware, and my details about my emulation patch with enhancements. The complex oscillator is an incredible playground for sonic discovery, with loads of opportunity for novel AM synthesis.

I recorded two versions, all based on the exact same patch.

The first has a dark ominous feel that was achieved by only applying the sequence to the amplitude modulating Scissor wave. The Positive and Negative DNA carrier wave frequencies remain fixed.

The second version is brighter and harsher that to my ears implies exciting scientific discovery. In this version I activate the CV Lock so the DNA waves follow the same sequence as the scissor.

3 Likes
4 Likes

:+1: Great!!! Both versions deserve a place in the album! (and also the two overlapped, with a slight time difference is an interesting variation) :slight_smile:

1 Like

:+1: Great! …higher “”“ugly”"" frequencies …

1 Like

Thanks. I came very close to doing just that! (I hadn’t thought of including timbre differences though) I thought about playing the 2nd instance in reverse, or playing up to 4, each starting at a different point, and looping as necessary to reach full length.

But ultimately I was most interested in how the complex oscillator sounded over the wide frequency range, and didn’t want to be distracted by the overlap complexity. Also I hadn’t created a Strip of the oscillator, so it was a bit of a pain to create multiple instances in the same patch.

I have since refactored the oscillator as one big horizontal strip, suitable for use with Stoermelder’s Strip, and I may just do the experiment.

Going from memory - The Entrian player has a context option dealing with multiple playheads? Or was it shared playheads? Not sure how that works, but perhaps that could be useful for getting multiple instances going that are offset. If someone could explain the feature, that would be great.

Oh - I too am all for the album idea.

Momentary dissonance(s), but I find this quite beautiful and anything but ‘ugly’ :hugs:. Then again my range of ‘beuatiful’ is admittedly a wider gamut than most - LOL! Great job, either way!

Oh I gotta try this challenge. BRB :joy:

Originally it was a bit too ugly, so I lowered the volume of the ugliest bits and added a cleaner lead to play through the whole song. The album idea is a great idea! Ugliest album of the year, anyone?

(Sorry I don’t have a video :frowning: )

(the track is a free download btw, if you wanna screw with it even more)

3 Likes

Okay, it’s time for jazz. A slow version of the “melody” is clamped and harmonized in a weird way, root note is doubled as bass. A faster version is clamped too and then send as a lead to selfmodulating FM.Ops. Add the jazz-fusion-kit (free) in SFZ to the mix and you have something that should replace all the music in all the elevators around the galaxy (space-elevators in particular).

10 Likes

Very cool. Interesting/refreshing to hear it “make sense” when played faster. Slowing things down seems like an easier path.

So what does “clamped” mean exactly? I’m guessing you compress the notes that span multiple octaves into a smaller number of octaves, presumably keeping the note values, but changing the octave only.

Any chance of publishing the patch? I’d be interested to see it / play with it.

This is going to be my soundtrack for today.

1 Like

Oh, I forgot to add the patch, sorry.

I think I used the pljones-2Kit-jazz_funk_kit.sfz from the sample library.

With “clamping” I mean exactly what you thought off, for the chords it would not work otherwise and for the lead it is just too high and too low for my taste.

The aliens performers “Attila L’gorythm” and “Stu Magenta” were unfortunately not captured on video making this:

Summary

It doesn’t apply by the rules: VCV Host and Algonaut Atlas were used for drums (a 9 drum kit randomly selected from ca. 74000 samples)

Magenta Studio compfused the melody and drums, using ugliest.mid as input.

For the benefit of the developers, I disagree with the “free modules” rule set forth in this challenge.

3 Likes

:+1: Great! … despite all, the sense of “I didn’t expect this note now” is still strong :grin: … another entry for the album!

1 Like

:+1: great! … nooo the “jazz” word is like a magic spell … how to transform the ugliest music in a song that is too melodic to be cataloged as free-jazz. Anyway still good for the album.

1 Like

:+1: Great! … How was the original sequence used?

:partying_face: :clap: :heart:… we already have 12 tracks for the album (+ a final bonus track in which I’ll mix all of them together in a “drone-style” to generate the most bizarre cacophony ) … I’ll wait a few more days then I’ll try to collect and group all the information in a dedicated space (for each author that give me the permission: name or nickname - some free thoughts about music/modular - an image for the track (or I’ll grab a frame from the video if available) - the original wav if available - link to personal pages).

3 Likes

Magenta Studio compfused the melody and drums, using ugliest.mid as input.

1 Like

@purf , @cosmoproductions , @GretchenV , @Worker_13 , @carbon14 , @DaveVenom , @Ahornberg , @Pineapple_Dave , @mosphaere , @Jens.Peter.Nielsen

Hi guys, I’m trying to find the time to “assemble” the ugliest album: The Alien Ping. For now I quickly created a page on my blog ( … The Ugliest Album: The Alien Ping | Algoritmarte ) with all the entries. I would like to download the videos (directly from YT) and re-assemble them in a big video (and extract the audio in mp3 format).

But I would also like to include for each of you a few lines (~300 characters) a personal thought about music and/or your experience with music (not necessarily related to the track). So if you want send me a private message with:

• your nickname (I picked it from this forum)
  • your real name (if you want)
  • your thought (~300 chars)
  • one link to your YouTube channel (or if you prefer to your web page, or other social media)

Thanks!!!

NOTE 1: this “project” is simply an idea to group together your different interpretations of “the ugliest music: the perfect ping” made in VCV with a sci-fi taste, it’s NOT a professional work and it is not aimed to make any revenue from it. And also don’t expect too much glory, because my channel/site have very few followers.

NOTE 2: Clearly if you don’t want to appear on The Ugliest Album: The Alien Ping let me know!!!

5 Likes

The biggest challenge:

1 Like