VCV 2 UX improvement suggestions

I personally find the current-state mouse scroll behavior, as Leonardo pointed out, very intuitive.

My Feature Request: A modifier to add a module from the browser, while keeping the browser open to add more modules. Example: Alt+Click or Shift+Click. Or even Ctrl+Shift+Click. But something to allow us to keep the browser open after adding a module. Useful when you want to add multiple modules at once.

5 Likes

Also, maintaining browser vertical position would be nice. I often find myself filtering modules, scrolling down, selecting one, then having to scroll down again.

4 Likes

I think I saw in one of Omri’s that it is possible.

Create the concept of designed module for the drag and drop of files done on Rack (not on the modules)

using maybe a map in a json txt (text, mp3, aiff, wav, flac, pcm, csv are the candidate)

for example I’d like to open immediately a simpliciter dropping a wav
COOL, I LIKE IT ! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

That would be feasible for a 3rd party module to do.

If I understand you correctly:

A module that you could drag and drop onto, and it would have a mapping of filetypes to preferred modules, and then automatically create the correct module.

It might (or might not) be tricky for it to then simulate a file drop onto the newly created module.

2 Likes

would be a deferred in time “onPathDrop”

action

a) someone drop a WAV on RACK
b) rack check if have “designed” signatures for the drop
c) if yes, instantiate the designed in the place of the drop
d) call the “onPathDrop” of the designed widget created using the stored “dropped list”

2 Likes

Presumably that widget might not be the ModuleWidget, it could be a child.

correct, but a plugin that want to use this feature should implement the “onPathDrop” on the main widget

or

(but this is going to break the API)

the module should implement a “FromPathDrop” creator

1 Like

I think I saw in one of Omri’s that it is possible.

I tried every keyboard combination I could think of. If it is an existing feature, someone please tell me how. :wink:

If you Ctrl click on a context menu item, it will keep the menu open. This doesn’t work on the preset browser because Ctrl click there is add to favorites.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I’d recommend Ctrl+Shift click to add module and keep the browser open so additional modules can be added.

Also, space bar to pause any sequence or the whole patch, my “daw” way of thinking is getting the best of me. :smiley:

1 Like

But, as people point out, what if you have more than one sequencer? Not so modular friendly. I do think some feature where there could be a designated “master clock” would be great. Or perhaps vcv had some system provided transport that modules could listen to…

1 Like

More of a macro control that stops everything or like that master clock you mentioned. something that can pause any sequencer/clock/mod source and start from where you left off in your sequence.

1 Like

It would also save patching if vcv had some sort of internal sync bus that modules could listen to.

3 Likes

You can use Stoermelder’s Stroke to do exactly this - use it to make the space bar control Run on Clocked

3 Likes

You learn something new everyday.

1 Like

side question: is it possible in vcv rack v1 or v2 to move all the cables at one port to another port? i would not want this to be the default behavior but it would be good to have the option. hexen only allows this behavior, which can be convenient, but not always.

1 Like

Having an option on the right click menu for an output jack to move “All” would be a really nice feature enhancement. Or perhaps a keyboard shortcut modifier to move all. But an additional item on the existing menu seems most sensible.

2 Likes

You can use Stoermelder’s Stroke to do exactly this - use it to make the space bar control Run on Clocked

That’s a good one. It wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world to have a “DAW Transport” module where start or stop on the DAW sent a message that could be fed into the Run, Reset ports on a clock as well as feed a master BPM.

I’m imaging a module with just 3 output ports: Run, Reset, BPM.