=== vcp challenge #77: imagine ===

Yes! I seriously considered building a patch with imagine, taking a screenshot of the patch, and then using that image!

Then I thought how cool it would be if the live VCV graphics could somehow be piped into Imagine. Flashing lights, etc. would effectively be self modulating.

It IS quite cool, that Imagine :slight_smile: Thinking for instance how graphical compositions of large-ish diamond patterns or circles could offer interesting ways to structure musicals events over time.

1 Like

Iā€™ve thought of adding an option to auto-reload the image when the file changes (on a low frequency poll). Then, you could have some process that overwrites the image file with whatever (e.g. screen shot) on a timer.

This would also let you live-edit an image in your image editor and simply re-save it periodically, or maybe use something like a Processing app and regularly export a snip.

Would that be a worthy addition?

That sounds interesting. My idea was just a wild flight of fancy. But CV control over the image could definitely be useful. Cycle through all images in a directory perhaps? Or let the user specify individual images to be loaded into an array?

I would also like to see multiple play heads generating polyphonic output.

Lastly would be access to more of the available values simultaneously. Maybe have 2 to 4 sets of v, g, t outputs. I would say use polyphony, but I would rather that be used for multiple play heads.

Snowflake, donkey and teddy bear

I was trying to create a hybrid track with arranged, fixed and generative elements, exploring how to get away from complete randomness while still leaving room for aleatoric variation.

Pachdeā€™s Imagine is operated for gating and modulation, using a snowflake-donkey-teddy bear mandala made from a photo of clouds in the sky. X and Y being driven by two BPM LFOs with different periods.

Demo video (https://youtu.be/7pM5BFu_TDg)

Eight voices in total. The basis is a more or less steady beat with some snare fills. Percussive Vibration for string-like sounds. Warp Core for a distorted bass. Terrorform as a lead. Macro Oscillator 2 for bells and a second snare. Fence with a changing range of pitches. A couple of Chances modules to add randomness.

StochSeq4 with varying sequencer lengths for different voices, to manage and mix up song structure. Each run through creates a slightly different variation in the arrangement. For a quick toss-up, press the INV button of one or more sequencer lanes in StochSeq4 or change sliders manually (use 0 or 100%).

The picture is included as a .jpg file. As I am not sure whether Imagine will find it, it may have to be loaded into the patch manually.

1 Like

Bright image in a dark room setting would have been nice in the video so the image would stand out when you dimmed the lights.

1 Like

Good point! Totally overlooked that option :slightly_smiling_face:.

With apologies, Imagine Krelloween.

imagine_krelloween.vcv (6.5 KB)

4 Likes

Here is my entry.

In this somewhat generative patch, Iā€™ve used 2 imagine modules from pachde, filled them with an image of an insect on a flower and set them to random walk. I use the output to control the pitch of the main voice and a selection of drum patterns and harmonizing sequences based of a chord progression. Other outputs of the imagine modules are used to modulate the qualities of the voices using sample and hold modules.

Mostly free modules (except maybe the two VCV Snare and VCV Ride?)

The video is just the patch playing.

3 Likes

Thank you for the challenge! I used 3 Imagine modules as triggers or voltage. besides filters, randoms, effects, and two other oscillators. One imagine module goes through three filters and they randomly send voltage to delay with the Pulsar module. The second one has a zebra-like texture image with the read head slowly going down so it triggers on a fixed speed and this, triggers a random key connected to macro oscillator 2. And the third one has a linear texture. the speed of the read head is modulated with LFO and I used the voltage, one intro an oscillator, and one directly to filters, the Top dancer delay, and another filter so I have a textured kind of scary sound. And of course, I used many Plateaus!

2 Likes

So here is my second entry. this time I kept it simple. LFO from VCV to modulate the speed of the imagine moduleā€™s read header. Voltages generated by Imagine go to sample and hold with an external clock. then I used two quantizers: One is used for anotherā€™s transpose.

6 Likes

First VCP entry ever, first YouTube video ever.

The patch uses Imagine, of course and my unreleased beta HC One plugin. The patch itself is exceedingly simple: Two Imagine, V/Oct through VCV VCAs to adjust the range of the V/Oct output, each feeding VCV CV-MIDI sending notes to a Haken Audio Continuum (a ContinuuMini on the left, and a Slim70 on the right). Two instances of HC-1 are automating macro parameters on the Continuii using VCV LFOs through VCV VCAs. The patch has the HC One Pedal modules, but I didnā€™t use the pedals in the video. This is almost entirely the patch playing, with a couple of small touches playing the Continuii surfaces. The only twiddling of the patch during the performance is starting Imagine playing, and fading out the volume of the Continuums at the end.

vcp-77 #1 | Patchstorage

VCP Challenge #77 - Imagine module - YouTube

5 Likes

Quick space (i.e. soaked in reverb) drone thing with modulation of Imagine by Caudal in planets mode.

Sorry, I didnā€™t remember to use the free versions of Vult modules ā€¦ and thereā€™s a lot of junk in there from my template patch.

VCP 77.vcv (10.9 KB)

2 Likes

Iā€™m sad to say I missed this edition of vcp challenge but life just got in the way this time! Can we expect vcp 78 anytime soon?

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen people post their challenge response long after the prposed deadline, so go for it!

1 Like