=== vcp challenge #74 (october edition): tides 2 ===

Not really calling this an entry to the competition as I don’t have time to do a video, but here’s a patch a made when I was learning Tides v2 which has some “mini patches” in it. The tune is being made by the mini patch at the bottom part of the main patch.

Audible Instruments Tidal Modulator 2 Session 3.vcv (4.9 KB)

1 Like

Nice one, really like it! To ammend: This is a very very clever patch actually and on re-listening the result is highly enjoyable. Well done!

2 Likes

Hi. Your patch doesn’t seem to work. It loads, but none of the buttons will work on the modules.

Odd. I can’t reproduce that. I downloaded it and ran with all buttons working as expected. I assume you selected your soundcard. Otherwise I have no idea… :confused:

Hmm ok thanks for checking Dan. I’ll explore other options my end.

I tend to - sometimes purposefully - sleep on those jack-of-all-trades modules, but taking my maybe first dive into Tides was fun.

3 Tides as voices, with another one lfo’ing their envelopes and a slooow fifth to fade those voices in and out. 2 Marbles for pitch and additional modulation, all seasoned with a dash of Rings. I normally regard a mixer as something external and often leave it out of videos, but wanted to include it this time around and needed panning so there’s some bits of Bogaudio…

6 Likes

Beautiful!

Which plugin did you use inside host fx?

… for some reverb in the reverb :slight_smile:

isn’t it at version 2.0.0? At least mine is :wink:

This really reminded me of just how much I rely on MixMaster and Plateau.

6 Likes

Ingenious :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonderful patch Urs. Nice composition and great hand wiggling. Great mood and atmosphere, and just highly enjoyable. Well done!

Here’s my go.

Uploaded to patchstorage -

Something a bit concrete using as little as I could beyond a single instance of tides to get the sound I was after. Ambient with s couple of not ambient interjections hopefully still with the same flavour.

Here’s my entry. Video is rather short, because I was in a hurry. Hope that’s ok.

This is my first patch with Tides. I used Tides solely as a voice/osc because that is what fascinated me the most when getting to know the module. Modulating the different paramenters via S&H on every note or via LFOs of different speeds really gets some interesting timbres out of it.

To generate the random rhythm, I used another setup based on bernoulli gates with modulated probability.

The ambient voice is definitely the star of the patch. Try bypassing Plateau (2nd row to the left) and solo the first mixer channel to hear the crazy variations tides can produce.

Of course I couldn’t help myself and added a rhythmic component with my go to shaker setup =).

Another thing I discovered when playing around with the higher voice is how cool Chronoblob sounds when the feedback and time parameter both get modulated by different LFOs. With such high delay feedback settings, I always use a compressor after the delay to keep the volume in check.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Here is my entry! Coincidentally, I was working on a white noise machine using tidal modulator. Just the name makes me think of the sea, waves and tropical storms so I wanted to recreate an image in my head: Jamming near the beach during a storm. Hope you enjoy my entry!

I read about the bonus part a little too late, but hey… that just gives me a reason to revisit the whole patch!

Here is the patch in case you want to download it!

5 Likes

You put the link on a line of its own, with an extra blank newline before it and after it. Like so:

text before

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7FlKME7ne4I

text after

So your Patchstorage and YouTube links become:

Hi, Thank you - fixed.

my entry:

something cinematic and mostly audible and VCV, and the irreplaceable Plateau

the patch is here:

3 Likes

Very appropriate for this time of year - it has a definite Halloween / Day of the Dead vibe!

2 Likes

Beautiful!! I’d love a 1 hour version of it