=== vcp challenge #70: mindmeld shapemaster ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, the challenge is to make a patch that uses mindmeld shapemaster, a multi-stage envelope generator.

good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack and upload your patch to patchstorage.com and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-70
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube (if possible)
    or record some audio and upload it to e.g. soundcloud
  • add a link to your video or audio as a comment to this post
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, june 6th sunday june 12th

11 Likes

Hooray! I had contemplated starting one of these after their long absence :slight_smile:

Huzzah! was hoping there would more VCPs to come, also I thought of starting one but never got round to it! Here I could again experimentation is a coming! Can you use Shapemaster on Sampler? Gonna go find out!

I’m going to get a head start for next year’s drone day. Basic Drone patch that uses Shapemaster to generate pitch, modulate the filter and VCO and also as the VCA. So, it basically does everything.

6 Likes

that’s cool. why does it sound like there is a high"Q" filter? The Q seems to be low on F2. Anyway, nice sounds.

I’m modulating the overtones and harmonics on the Basal module, so it could be that when they all align (once in awhile) a high “Q” filter-ish sound is produced. Or maybe not.

well, it sounds good!

not many entries so far…

so here is my entry:
I used the ShapeMaster Pro here and some Vult paid modules (Freak and Knock).
Also I used Colors from Kinotone, that was a free beta download, but seems not to be available atm.
Maybe you can use this site: https://vcvtools.glitch.me/ to replace the paid for/missing modules. Sorry for any inconvenience.

the patch:

3 Likes

would it help if we’d extend the challenge until the coming weekend?

1 Like

this could help,
maybe we need to raise some interest again

but maybe it is just the shapemaster? idk

An arpeggiated synth made completely with ShapeMaster:

2 Likes

I think that is the case for me.

I definitely see tremendous potential with the module, and am confident there are many things possible that I would not even dream of.

It reminds me very much of some of the features within Vital. I am amazed at the speed with which someone like Dash Glitch performs wizardry with Vital, and suspect similar things could be done with ShapeMaster.

But for whatever reason, the process leaves me cold when faced with the prospect of actually creating/manipulating/employing my own shapes. Before I discovered VCV, I dabbled a fair amount with Vital, but mostly by tweaking/expanding existing presets. Once I discovered VCV, I pretty much abandoned Vital.

I had hoped that this challenge would spur me to actually dive in and create my own shapes. But it hasn’t worked :frowning:

I use SM in every patch, it’s by far my favourite module.

Have you explored the randomisation functionality? You can get great results with that without ever having to draw a shape yourself.

1 Like

Good point. No I have not. In fact, I rarely use any randomize features, such as the randomize context menu option available to all modules. Maybe I am too much of a control freak.

Kind of silly really. I’m perfectly comfortable using white noise and a Sample and Hold, or Caudal, or Bogaudio Walk, or a Bernoulli Gate, or some of the DocB random modules, or…

I know I am missing out on a whole other world. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I hope I am in the minority, as ShapeMaster deserves more entries in this challenge.

If so, you should try probably ShapeMaster out - it gives you precise control of voltage over time, which is what modular is all about :slight_smile:

I totally get it that no module is for everyone, and that’s fine, but on a personal level I’d love to see what you could do with it as you get so deep into modules and really understand them.

I think my favourite use for it is as a sequencer as it is so flexible and allows you to easily create sequences that would be hard to do by any other means - different timings within the sequence, and precise control over expression and glides between notes for example. I’ve posted this video by Jakub a few times but it’s def worth a watch if you haven’t seen it (as is the rest of his series on ShapeMaster).

1 Like

Here is one i did a while ago, it is not meant as an entry as it is using ShapeMaster Pro.
But more of a support entry for this thread.

It has a lot going on in it.
Feel free to download it here from my patreon, if you are using ShapeMaster Pro.

2 Likes