=== vcp challenge #69: rpj grendel ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, the challenge is to make a patch that uses rpj grendel, a quad lfo. and because this edition is numbered 69, you have to use self-modulation.

since it is thursday already, this challenge will run a little longer.

nice! and good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack and upload your patch to patchstorage.com and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-69
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube (if possible)
  • add a link to your video as a comment to this post
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, august 23rd

1 Like

Ooo missus, self modulation hey, nudge, nudge, wink, wink say no more. So no sordid patches for this one then!?

My 1st submission for this VCP#69. Using Grendel to control most of the parameters on the patch. Using Harmonic Convergence from Freq Domain was the staring point. So then Grendel came next. Two Atelier Palettes are the sound sources which are cved by Grendel. Then fed into Harmonic Convergence -----> Chronoblob and Plateau via JPG’s Lady Nina filter/LALA.

Stream Palette Duo=Harmonic Convergence by Adrian Bottomley | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Palette duo=Harmonic convergence.vcv (59.9 KB)

Pick the bones clean Mister as Mark E Smith once said.

1 Like

Oh, nothing too exciting. I used 1 Grendel module to control everything (pitch, gates, other LFO stuff).

5 Likes

In a possibly extreme interpretation of the challenge, all voicing provided by 4 Grendels and a rat’s nest of helper modules to make the LFO’s heard. Plenty of self-modulation to go around. Cheers!

6 Likes

My submission for the VCP-69 challenge: to make a VCV Rack patch that uses RPJ Grendel, a quad LFO. and because this edition is numbered 69, you have to use self-modulation.

Well, there’s this patch. It uses 6 instances of the module in each of the four modes of operation, varying from master clock and trigger generator to sound producing oscillators, wave shaping and of course modulation, including self modulation. 8 voices, 5 of which are Grendel in audio frequency based (the other 3 are kick, hi-hat and snare). Song segmentation with a Janneker/Jooper combo, nothing generative.

Can’t say I am happy with it, I found the module somewhat limited and awkward to work with. Max frequency is 120 Hz, so I settled for notes between A1 and A2 making a very bassy sound. Its CV control is not 1V/Oct so I had to resort to a manual sequence.

1 Like

this time I found the module very hard to understand and make it usefull,
so I tried to get some sorts of modulations and noises from it. but still it won’t make it in my fav list :wink:
I recorded the video live.

the patch:

1 Like

Until I read Gretchen’s write up, I never knew anything of Grendel. But a quick Wiki search and I realized the patch I was developing worked well for that beast. All the sound, CV and timing are from 3 Grendel modules. One LFO provides the base tone, and then a Bogaudio VCF in band pass mode polyphonically picks off harmonics for the high pitches. Lots of distortion, and LFOs to modulate everything. I did use one grendel in phase mode to modulate the left and right drone channel’s volume 180 degrees out of phase with each other.

1 Like