=== vcp challenge #64: 4/20 ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, the challenge is to make a patch with the theme 4/20.

there are different ways to interpret this, so let’s see what you come up with!
some suggestions:

• irregular meter of 20 quarter-note beats, with a subdivision up to you (e.g. (3+2)x4)
  • use 20 sound producing and mangling modules, and 4 utility modules
  • reinterpret purple haze

good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack and upload your patch to patchstorage.com and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-64
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube (if possible)
  • add a link to your video as a comment to this post
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, may 3rd

2 Likes

One of those days, wherein all your patterns seem to work against one another and nothing is coming out right. You feel caged and stressed and …

The percussion is in theme with a 4/20 kick and quintuplet on the hi-hat every beat (of 4). Check. Bass is a random selection out of 4 5-note sequences (for a total of 20 notes). Check. Pads are 4 chords (two of 4 notes with 5 semitones between and two of 5 with 4 notes with 5 in semitones in between) in a 3-4-5-1 progression. Check. But these are all technicalities … generative and sequenced.

10 Likes

I like the tension. Some days you just need to let the agression find its way out…

Why 4/20? I had to look it up: The Hazy History of '420' - HISTORY While I’m not very mnuch into cannabis, I’ll give it a thought…

i’m not either, but a lot of musicians are, and it was the date i had to post a new challenge, so…

1 Like

Interesting but I heard it was Police Dispatch code for misdemeanour cannabis use … (?)

It’s what happened on that date this year that I’ve used to inspire my piece. Now I just have to make myself actually record it.

I just woke up and this patch was there. I don’t remember what happened.

15 Likes

Very good, was there a naked girl/horse next to you, It might been those odd mushrooms you had on your pizza!

1 Like

LMAO this made my day :grin:

1 Like

Life Impromptu …

This is my purely generative entry to the VCP challenge #64 - 4/20 … indeed many of the settings of the patch modules are on “4” or “20” … The video is a semi-automatic visual improvisation using random variations of Conway’s Game of Life.

The patch can be downloaded here:

3 Likes

Funny how patches often happen. I wanted to heed the 4/20 with some sample from Hits From the Bong/Cypress Hill or the like and make some ~ambient dub but while trying out samples with Shapemaster sequencing Autobreak I found this industrial percussion in the 1932 sound of Cab Calloway’s “Reefer Man” and things went Techno. (Just noticed, in case you noticed, that music and video are out of sync. Ah well.)

5 Likes

At one point I was hoping to be first in here but then other people where faster than me. Darn it. I’m not a drugs guy (in spite of the psychedelic imagery) so I decided to be inspired by another important event that happened on 4/20 this year and made a piece that starts chaotic and becomes more harmonic with time.

vcp-64.vcv (66.5 KB)

This is my first attempt at mastering in Audacity. I was trying to set the volume levels with compression and I got a lot of clicks no matter what I did. Probably operator error, using the wrong tool for the job. I’d been thinking about learning to use Audacity for a while and this seemed an opportune moment. Any suggestions on what plugins I should use in future?

4 Likes

What clicks are you referring to? During that fast early part is sounds a little clicky to me, is that it? And of course you should use my Comp module to keep dynamics in line in VCV :wink:

I tried using a bunch of different compressors but I was trying to equalize the levels over the length of the piece and it just seemed easier to learn Audacity in the end. I’m assuming the clickyness at the beginning is just the result of changing pitches really fast. It was when things slowed down that I had problems. I’m still not really sure what I’m doing with compressors so I don’t use them much.

ah, cool. Yeah, compressors are tricky. I think in many cases the rule is “if you can hear what they are doing you are using too much” :wink:

1 Like

… like the bass player in the band yeah I know that feeling :grin:

haha, you must be referring the infamous mix of Metallica’s “and justice for all”. I like to hear the bass player. Although I must admit that last time I was in a band I did fire the bass player for playing too loud (and other infractions, like playing in A all the time).

I used to be a bass player so I have heard it many times :sunglasses:

1 Like

Bloody hell all that from 1 VCO! What is Formula doing in the patch-how did you use that and what was the effect/purpose. A beautiful piece!