=== vcp challenge #60: entrian sequencers ===

Very pretty! That’s a pretty complex looking module you’re using for the synth voices, and you wield it like you know it very well :wink:

There are a couple of polyphonic sequencers that will import MIDI files.

Ok, but I don’t use MIDI files often. In this instance I did more than just import a MIDI file though, I was able to edit and play with the sequences on a grid very much like in a DAW. My sequence was polyphonic so I made duplicates and removed some notes so I could use some voices without polyphony enabled.

Even more interesting though is the ability to record polyphonic CV tracks. That I can see myself using allot. My normal workflow for automating stuff is using Transit but this was quite a bit easier to set up and was far more malleable and easy to play with.

1 Like

oh, for sure :wink:

Even though I love KS and Cheby, I actually had a reason for not using them (and others VCOs). With 10 VCOs, and filters etc, I was trying to keep everything compact and not use up too much screen real estate. However, since KS has it’s own ADSR and VCA, it might not take much more room. I may give it a try.

ah, compact screen space - makes sense. I guess there is room for more innovation in tinny vcos :wink:

Hi all, how do you take part in this challenge? You just post your patch here? Is there a main thread I should read (which I couldn’t find)?

The rules are at the top of this topic. :slight_smile:

I have heard this symphony so many times, but i still cannot say who wrote it and what its name is. I like this calm beat and the light summer rain :slight_smile:

Ave Maria always sounded like a sad melody to me. Due to the slew and vibrato effect it sounds somehow cheerful. That’s cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

here is my entry for the VCP-60,

In a first patch I tried to use all modules from Entrian, but then I got the idea to make a monophonic melodic sequence and add some other modules. Now there is only 1 voice: Basal and a heap of FX, mainly reverbs, first I had a version with host fx hosting valhalla vintage verb and supermassive, but now I use only free VCV modules:

the patch is here:

VCP-60 - rsmus7 - Entrian - Nr. 3 | Patchstorage

6 Likes

Very relaxing. I see you also put noise and a slight crackle on mixer channel 3, 4 and 5. That reminded me of a professor I had in the past. He said that after the vinyl record was replaced by the CD, a slight background noise was intentionally added to the recordings, because the sounds without noise sounded unusually pure, or synthetic. I don’t know if this story is true, but it certainly makes sounds more interesting.

1 Like

this is exactly my intention, when you have only the pure digitally produced sounds I feel my ears and mind gets pretty fast bored with listening. But with the almost unhearable background noise and crackles the attention stays focused on the music imho.

thanks for listening and taking the time to comment.

I used the Entrian Timeline module to sequence a ‘pop’ song with … er … traditional rock style instruments. Except they’re all patched from simple oscillator with – in cases – an effect chain. The voice, if you can call it that, is attenuated with a lot of modulation on the ‘sung’ notes to sound like vowels. There is nothing generative about this patch. Pop song is all original though.

I did run into a few inconvenient snags in using this module though, such as a slave Entrian Drummer missing an occasional beat in the four on the floor rhythm and so on, so I had to put the drums as a track in the Timeline module.

7 Likes

I want to thank Ritchie at Entrian for giving out the free modules for this challenge. For the song " Neo Magic Sword Defenders" I used Entrian’s Timeline to do a basic intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/breakdown/outro song from scratch. I wanted to get it to be at least demo quality (good enough to listen in the car and pick out 20 things that are wrong with it). I wish I had this for the VCP 56: Vangelis challenge! The song ended up sounding sort of like 80’s Anime end credits music. Or maybe easy listening synthwave? A little too Yamaha DX-7-ish during the chorus. BTW “Neo Magic Sword Defenders” is from an Anime title generator.

16 Likes

Excellent - never a dull moment! I love that vocal instrument, and the bendy lead.

If you had trouble with the modules, and you can reproduce the problem, I’d really appreciate a GitHub issue so I can have a go at fixing it.

Oh yeah, back to my eighties roots! :slight_smile:

Wound up using the melody sequencer and drum sequencer as the core elements of my patch, progressing through different patterns on both with the two outputs of a bernoulli gate. Didn’t go too crazy on the amount of voices, since the melodic and drum patterns I programmed were both pretty busy. Definitely enjoyed the workflow on the drummer and sequencer, and I want to expand the controlled random progression through patterns concept using more intricate switch wiring in a future patch.

5 Likes

Excellent cheerful piece for getting my Monday morning off to a good start!

My entry for VCP Challenge #60.

4 Likes