Utilities for polyphonic channels

Well, at least Moots is listed as ‘Polyphonic’ in the library and does pass polyphonic signals. But I am also positive that you know best what is possible and what not, so no worries.

For me, I would like to clarify whether it is wrong to think of a polyphonic cable as a thick cable with up to 16 thin cables (channels) inside. In this way of thinking, couldn’t it be done in principle (not necessarily in Moots) to ‘unplug’ individual thin cables while keeping the thick cable plugged/intact?

No, the absence of a thin cable is different than a thin cable carrying 0V.

Think about a normalized connection, or default routing, where if you patch an input, it breaks the normal or default routing.

When you patch a cable that has 0 channels, it behaves as if the cable is not even there, and the normal connection remains in effect.

With VCV poly cables, it is not possible to do the same thing for individual channels within the poly cable.

I suppose you could remove a thin cable, but that would destroy the integrity of the channel number assignment of the remaining thin cables. For example, suppose you have a poly cable with 4 channels, each with a different value:

ABCD

If you try to remove channel 3 like so

12 4
AB D

that collapses into a poly cable with only 3 channels

ABD

Such a module certainly could be created, but it is not what @karlderletzte is looking for.

1 Like

+1 for inclusion, since with this module, every channel in the poly cable can be modulated independently (for both offset & scale)

1 Like

This example explained it clearly to me, thank you, Dave! Thin cables fill the void of empty slots (no cables, not ‘zero’ cables) and thereby disturb the order (channel assignment).

PolySort (Chinenual)

Can sort a polyphonic input signal to a custom sort order provided from another polyphonic input signal that is plugged in just above its own port.

In the example (see pic), the sort order is provided by the left ‘Fixed Voltage Source’ module. It is plugged into the top input port. In the top output port, these values are sorted in ascending order.

The right ‘Fixed Voltage Source’ module supplies another list of numbers to the second input port from the top. Note that the values in channel 2, 3, and 4 are out of order.

If the Link button is turned off, sorting is performed in ascending order. If the Link button is turned on, the order of values in the left ‘Fixed Voltage Source’ module becomes the sorting template, so. e.g. 0.25 moves from channel 2 to channel 15, 0.75 from channel 10 to channel 12, 1 from channel 13 to channel 10.

UPC_PolySort (Chinenual)_20241010.vcvs (8.2 KB)

1 Like

Clip (Grande)

Polyphonic dual clipper with adjustable clipping threshold. Clip’s display shows active (below threshold) channels in blue and currently clipping (above threshold) channels in red.

Use as a clip/logic monitor by just attaching the inputs, not passing through the module.

UPC_Clip (Grande)_20241010.vcvs (12.7 KB)

Some3 (Coffee)

Mutes (value becomes zero) an arbitrary number of channels from a polyphonic input upon a trigger input.

A trigger input is required to make changes effective.

The number of muted channels is guided by the Probability knob: When setting probability to 1, no channels are muted. When setting probability to 0, all channels are muted.

Channel range of activity is set by the Start and End knobs (or CV inputs). To select only one channel (i.e. solo; e.g. 7), set End to n (e.g. 7) and Start to n-1 (e.g. 6).

Range can be shifted up (toward lower channel numbers) or down (toward higher channel numbers) with trigger inputs. No rollover.

UPC_Some3 (Coffee)_20241010.vcvs (5.9 KB)

Ooh I didn’t know about Submarine LA-108. That’s a handy poly scope. I might not have made Signals if I knew this one existed :upside_down_face: However, Signals has a unique feature still, in that the trigger resets each scope channel individually.

I really like this thread, it’s very helpful to have the different poly things sorted into useful categories like this. :+1:

2 Likes

Voltage Range (Sparkette’s Stuff)

Generates a polyphonic output signal of a smooth range of (equidistant) values between and including two specified voltages.

Set number of channels with Channels knob.

Delta Voltage output displays distance of values.

UPC_Voltage Range (Sparkettes Stuff)_20241010.vcvs (1.9 KB)

UPC_Voltage Range (Sparkettes Stuff)_20241010

I think what is nice is that Signals is straightforward and easy to use. No bells and whistles, which in some cases can be a real plus.

Lovin’ it too! Learned about a few modules that flew under my radar. Appreciate how some of them are neatly presented with short description and screenshot. Sparking some patching ideas already :star_struck:

1 Like

Hello and sorry for my absence. i decide to upload a patch, that is realize (almost) and describe, what i want.

Test Note and Step select.vcv (3.2 KB)

the vult knob is used for selecting a step. in my original patch this a phasor (stepped voltage) or manually. the output of addr-seq is going to my vco. the moot modules works as aspected, but many cables.

what is not working until now:

i want to change more then one note AND

i want to start the replacing at once for all steps with replacing them with my new notes. the rest of the sequence is untouched.

perhaps another polyphonic module could do that more compact.

Thanks for help

Karl

PolyMergeResplit (Grande)

Using a single module, up to 16 channels from up to 4 polyphonic signals can be merged into one polyphonic signal, processed and split back up to the original configuration, i.e. with the same number and width of channels.

The original polyphonic signals do not have to contain equal numbers of channels, but a total of 16 channels cannot be exceeded (red warning light). Blue lights indicate the channel counts match.

UPC_PolyMergeResplit (Grande)_20241010.vcvs (8.7 KB)

i checked it with your modul. It works! i now have to investigate, how i could patch the rest as mentioned below.

thank you

1 Like

PolySplice (DanT)

Trigger-dependent channel selector/switch for a polyphonic input with up to 16 channels. With each trigger input, another input channel is routed to the output.

Mono- or polyphonic output. Six different modes of progression. Slew.

In the example (see pic), 4 different LFO shapes are merged into one polyphonic cable and fed into PolySplice. With each trigger (here gate from a clock), the next channel is routed to the output. Output is set to polyphonic (Inputs Incremental), resulting in 4 different phase-shifted complex LFOs, each with consecutive portions of the source LFOs.

UPC_PolySplice (DanT)_20241010.vcvs (7.7 KB)

PolySplit (Grande)

The channels of a polyphonic input signal are routed to up to 4 polyphonic outputs based on defined split points.

For n outputs, n-1 split points are needed. Adding another split point (n) curbs the range of channel outputs. Adding even more split points has no effect and they are dimmed.

Blue lights indicate number of input channels. Dimmed blue lights represent input channels that are not forwarded to outputs.

UPC_PolySplit (Grande)_20241011.vcvs (5.9 KB)

Poly Splitter (ML Modules)

Splits up to 4 polyphonic signals into two groups, A and B, based on a set split point. All input signals are split using the same split point.

UPC_Poly Splitter (ML Modules)_20241011.vcvs (5.6 KB)

Interleaver (NYSTHI)

Upper half splits polyphonic signals into two groups, left and right, of equal size.

Lower half merges two polyphonic signals with a maximum of 8 channels each. If the input signals are unequal in their number of channels, blanks are filled with zero values, up to a total of 2 x 8 = 16 channels.

UPC_Interleaver (NYSTHI)_20241011.vcvs (5.7 KB)

Rotor Model A (stoermelder)

Spreads a carrier signal across up to 16 channels.

Modulation input (MOD) is mandatory. It needs to be monophonic and unipolar, and defines how the carrier signal is distributed across the output channels.

Carrier signal input (CAR) is optional. Needs to be monophonic. The signal is spread across the channels according to the MOD signal.

UPC_Rotor Model A (stoermelder)_20241011.vcvs (7.0 KB)

Nope. What I had been using is MS4, which does not behave the same as PMR. It only looks the same. That explains why I never stumbled across that feature I was looking for with it.

In looking those up, I rediscovered Tails. I used to use that a lot, but switched to Bogaudio’s Assign for similar purposes. I’ll have to take a closer look at both of them to see why I switched, since Tails has a VCA function.

A few minutes later…

• Assign : Goes up to 16 channels poly output (probably the reason I switched it in my template patch), and the number of channels is always visible. Has a reset input.

• Tails : Limited to 5 channels poly output, and you have to mouse over the knob to see how many channels are selected. Has a built-in poly VCA with a gain knob. (I usually prefer the VCV VCA because of the poly metering of the CV signal.)

2 Likes