Utilities for polyphonic channels

Yes, your are right that it would definitely be useful, so someone just needs to look at the (sub-)category and will find modules that can be applied.

Considering the long (and hopefully growing) list, I just fear to lose track, but maybe with some classification help from the community it might be manageable. Suggestions always welcome.

I would welcome some kind of extended/improved classification/taxonomy in VCV Rack. This in part prompted me to start this list, too.

I often have a specific task or need in mind and then go on a somewhat laborious hunt for the proper module. IMO, having a more granular structure to the library would significantly ease this process.

Is e.g. assigning custom tags anywhere on the horizon?

If you would like help editing the original post, then I think you can make it a Wiki post.

At the bottom of your post, click on the three dots (show more) next to the Reply. Then click on the wrench (post admin actions), and select Make Wiki. I haven’t done this before on this site, but I believe it allows others to edit your post. I know that is how it works on StackOverflow.

1 Like

Let’s give this a try! I converted the OP to a Wiki post.

In order to keep this list useful to all and prevent chaos, I would like to encourage everyone who contributes to stick to the format when adding content and contact me to discuss improvements.

Thank you and happy adding!

2 Likes

Has this already been implemented? I can see the curves in Signals, but don’t get any voltage on the outputs, except for the first channel. Is there another setting?

Nice scaling in different ranges!

UPC_Morta (CV funk)_20241008.vcvs (158.1 KB)

Updated with a few additional modules. Wiki post (Thank you, Dave!). Started to link names to posts with patch selections.

Oooh. Okay I need to fix that. It should pass all the poly voltages out! Oops. It will be in v2.0.9 Thanks for the bug report!!

edit: fixed for the new release

1 Like

Ohh, no worries, thank you for fixing it so quickly! I was not aware of Signals before — I like it!

@Alphagem-O the spreader modules are for audio, not CV, maybe that was my misunderstanding. If you have more than one voice on a poly cable from an audio out, it gives you a stereo pair of outputs where each voice is spread across the stereo field. CV and audio are basically interchangeable, right? Hope that makes sense! :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for explaining and confirming my notion!

Yes, in the end, even audio somehow has to be transported through a voltage. At least ASSprdr has the option to turn ‘Merge Poly Output’ off, so the developer may have had something in mind for poly-CV as well.

But audio clearly seems to be the main objective for these spreaders and they still are very important elements in the toolbox.

1 Like

@DaveVenom yeah I tried the Bogaudio pan, I think almost all their modules are polyphonic. Didn’t quite work how I expected, but updating your Venom Mix Pan sounds promising, thanks!

Bogaudio Pan doesn’t recognize polyphony unless the input is polyphonic. But once it is, then polyphonic CV can move the individual channels around the stereo field. The pan knob becomes an attenuator when the CV is patched, so you have to move the knob off of zero to have any CV effect.

My Mix Pan Expander in dev basically works the same.

1 Like

Ah thanks, so you need to feed it poly modulation. I’ll give that a try, not sure why I didn’t think of that. Cheers!

polycounter (alef’s bits)

A polyphonic trigger input on a certain channel causes an increment of the value of that channel. Increment is set with the ‘inc’ knob. Values lie between start and end values. Rollover to start value when end value is reached.

UPC_polycounter (alefs bits)_20241008.vcvs (5.5 KB)

UPC_polycounter (alefs bits)_20241008

1 Like

polyshuffle (alef’s bits)

Shuffle channels on trigger, while maintaining absolute values. Reset puts channels back in order.

UPC_polyshuffle (alefs bits)_20241009.vcvs (3.8 KB)

1 Like

Toly Pools v2 (computerscare)

Rotate channels of a polyphonic input signal, while maintaining absolute values. Can set number of output channels. Has output for number of input channels.

UPC_Toly Pools v2 (computerscare)_20241009.vcvs (6.5 KB)

hello, may i ask for a polyphonic tool here,too? or is this thread only for listing and solutions?

Of course you are free to post (almost) anything you like.

However, to make your request more visible to interested developers, I would suggest to choose or create a more development-centric thread, such as: Ideas for any interested developers.

ok thank you. then i will describe it here and later in the mentioned thread. my problem: i want to replace notes inside a polyphonic signal. the polyphonic signal (16 channels) is a 16step sequence. so if replace e.g. the third channel, i replace the third step.

the hurdle is, that i want to do that during the running sequence. therefore i use infix from stoermelder to replace. because it is sensible for 0V i use mood from sapphire. then only the channel, that is triggered in mood go through. so far so good. that works.

BUT: i cannot patch a polyphonic signal to mood. i have to split and patch the sixteen channels to mood. i must use four of them.

is this intentional or is it possible to feed a polyphonic signal with gates to the gate input of mood to select? i am not able to do that.

second problem:

i want to first select the new note and step. then i need a trigger to through. that could be possible with triggerbuffer? but it is not latched, isn’t it?

btw: the whole thing is part of a bigger patch based on the performance /string patch from suzanne ciani. unfortunately many users/pc that tried to help could not run it. but i can upload it here to investigate. for now it is not documented well.

it is work in progress :wink:

but it is not neccessary related with my question/problem.