updated msys and rack, now can't build

According to this [curl] build failure x86-windows-static after f12d986e6a06e0d761089d672df42511fa2dfe0d · Issue #12431 · microsoft/vcpkg · GitHub it is, indeed, an antivirus thing :S

Always exclude your dev folders from antivirus.

1 Like

Yes, I found that, too. That’s why I was hoping that’s it. And for sure recently defender has been giving me a lot of false positives on rack stuff. But I just (I think) excluded my whole rack folder, which is on a “Dev Volume”. Did rm -rf deps, git reset --hard origin, git submodule update --init --recursive, and make dep and the same thing happened.

I guess I can try one more time to do everything from scratch. Last time after I deleted my rack folder defender removed the exclusion rule I had.

$ git status On branch v2 Your branch is up to date with ‘origin/v2’.

nothing to commit, working tree clean

sigh.

trying full nuke and pave now… nope, still have problem. Guess I can try turning defender off entirely. Seems like a good time to take a vacation from VCV…

no kidding.

I hope you managed to get it working.

After trying absolutely everything to no avail, I finally rolled back the compiler using your instructions. Now deps are happily building, so I think I’ll be ok. (later: yep, vcv, deps, and fundamental plugins all good!)

Tx again!!

3 Likes

What is the lesson from this? Should we not update MSYS? Why did you update it?

Of course I do not build rack, just my plugin. Nevertheless, I’m afraid to change anything these days. At my age, I feel that I am one step away from doing something that breaks my local Win11 development environment and process and I don’t have it in me to figure out how to recover.

I suggest running a dev environment in a virtual machine - easy to snapshot and roll back to snapshot if something doesn’t work.

VMWare workstation pro is free now. I prefer it to Oracle Virtualbox that is also free.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

2 Likes

Well, I’ll ramble a little…

I update all my software all the time. I probably update my msys environment at least once a week. This may be a bad idea.

I always develop my plugins against a version of rack I build myself. I think long ago this was the only way (before SDK existed?). Now it’s not the only way, but it still has some advantages.

Based on a study of one (me), I would say that the current GCC can’t build the VCV deps. The last one couldn’t build VCV at all. I’m guessing that at some point msys will distribute a version of gcc that can build curl…

Based on this study of one, I would say if msys is working for you, don’t update. There’s probably no reason to.

3 Likes

In general that’s a decent idea. I guess for me (and maybe a lot of VCV devs on windows) msys IS my VM. It’s the complete dev environment for VCV, and I don’t use it for much else. (maybe Windows being so wildly different/bad has a silver lining there!).

I do use VMWare player on windows to host an Ubuntu VM where I run the build toolchain. saving a copy of that is a good suggestion. thanks!

1 Like

Apparently the problem lies with curl (MSYS2/MinGW/GCC 14) nonblock.c: In function 'curlx_nonblock': no non-blocking method was found/used/set · Issue #13579 · curl/curl · GitHub

2 Likes

ah, interesting. tx.

Deleted my post, it was irrelevant to this thread.

1 Like

Whereas this is a bit OT, I overcame my reluctance and updated to Rack 2.5.2 and the SDK yesterday with no problems. I did not update MSYS :wink:

3 Likes

My guess is updating MSYS and building deps will be impossible until either:

1. Rack updates its deps to use a modern version of Curl (Rack specifically asks for 7.79.1 and builds it), Curl is at version 8.8.0 as I write this. A lot of the Rack deps, looking at the makefile, seem to be a bit outdated, actually.

or

1. MSYS ships a less uptight version of GCC 14 (I… somehow think it is unlikely…)

If the deps are already built… Rack and plugins do build with no problems with an updated MSYS.

1 Like

That all seems right. It does mean that rack as it stands cannot be built. At least by following the documented steps. Which is unfortunate.

1 Like

Very much so :frowning:

Thought that this problem has been solved.
Tried to fix it by downgrading the following *.zst files after installing latest msys2,
but there are at least error messages remaining,
after using the “make .” commands.

mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-13.2.0-6-any.pkg.tar.zst mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-ada-13.2.0-6-any.pkg.tar.zst mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-fortran-13.2.0-6-any.pkg.tar.zst mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-libgfortran-13.2.0-6-any.pkg.tar.zst mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-libs-13.2.0-6-any.pkg.tar.zst mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-lto-dump-13.2.0-6-any.pkg.tar.zst mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-objc-13.2.0-6-any.pkg.tar.zst

“make dep” before shut down:

make -C curl-7.79.1 make[2]: Entering directory ‘/v/compiler/vcv/rack_v2.52/rack/dep/curl-7.79.1’ Making all in lib make[3]: Entering directory ‘/v/compiler/vcv/rack_v2.52/rack/dep/curl-7.79.1/lib’ make all-am make[4]: Entering directory ‘/v/compiler/vcv/rack_v2.52/rack/dep/curl-7.79.1/lib’ ** CC libcurl_la-nonblock.lo** nonblock.c: In function ‘curlx_nonblock’: nonblock.c:83:4: error: #error “no non-blocking method was found/used/set” ** 83 | # error “no non-blocking method was found/used/set”** ** | ^~~~~** make[4]: *** [Makefile:2531: libcurl_la-nonblock.lo] Error 1 make[4]: Leaving directory ‘/v/compiler/vcv/rack_v2.52/rack/dep/curl-7.79.1/lib’ make[3]: *** [Makefile:1360: all] Error 2 make[3]: Leaving directory ‘/v/compiler/vcv/rack_v2.52/rack/dep/curl-7.79.1/lib’ make[2]: *** [Makefile:1262: all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/v/compiler/vcv/rack_v2.52/rack/dep/curl-7.79.1’ make[1]: *** [Makefile:144: lib/libcurl.a] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/v/compiler/vcv/rack_v2.52/rack/dep’ make: *** [Makefile:112: dep] Error 2

“make” before shut down:

$ make cc -Iinclude -Idep/include -fPIC -MMD -MP -g -O3 -funsafe-math-optimizations ** -fno-omit-frame-pointer -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -march=nehalem ** -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES -municode -c -o build/dep/ oui-blendish/blendish.c.o dep/oui-blendish/blendish.c dep/oui-blendish/blendish.c:28:10: fatal error: blendish.h: No such file or directory ** 28 | #include <blendish.h> ** | ^~~~~~~~~~~~ compilation terminated. make: *** [compile.mk:75: build/dep/oui-blendish/blendish.c.o] Error 1

Is there someone who is able to write a short guide on how to get it to work again.

[edited by moderator]

Getting the .zst files is not enough, you need to actually downgrade what is installed, not just download a bunch of files, follow the post carefully and make sure you run the pacman commands:

Edit: unless you’re also building Fortran progs or Objective-C stuff you don’t need *fortran*.pkg.tar.zst or mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-objc-13.2.0-6-any.pkg.tar.zst; I didn’t downgrade the lto (link time optimization stuff) when I wrote that guide; but it’s probably a good idea…

The oui-blendish error refers to actual missing files: nothing to do with downgrading; perhaps oui-blendish didn’t clone correctly.

yeah, after I followed your downgrade instructions I was able to build. I have not updated anything since!

Would be awful nice if VCV would fix this problem. The fact that you can’t build vcv by following the directions is, imao, a “critical” bug.