Upcoming VCV as Plugin - please don't forget Linux

Just FYI, this isn’t true in all DAWs. For instance, in some configurations, Bitwig and Reaper run the VST in a separate process space altogether; or a separate process space with other VSTs with the same plugin ID; or a separate process space with other VSTs of the same manufacturer. Don’t know if that changes your plans at all, but figured I’d share (since I’ve just been through the experience of trying to get a single open source plugin running VST2, VST3, AU and (with help from the #lad folks) LV2 on mac, windows and linux in many daws).

Also, VST2 support for window resize is inconsistent, charitably, across DAWs. But each of AU and VST3 have their own problems too, I found. It’s all a bit messy to be honest…

Will the plugin-enablement code be GPL3 mixed license also?

Thanks for your efforts!

Yeah, Reason is another one that sandboxes plugins in processes.

No, Rack for DAWs will be proprietary.

a crazy idea came to my mind, @Vortico , can the VST rack keep the ability to connect through Jack?

it will to you the vst advantages that you mentioned and still allowing the Linux audio modularity

Yes, all modules and audio/MIDI drivers in Rack will be available in Rack for DAWs.

3 Likes

Heya folks. FWIW, some brief thoughts relating to some of the points raised about JACK above;

• The de facto method of session management for managing files relating to a project, given the “inverted DAW” nature of JACK, is (these days) the NSM API. I’d recommend the RaySession implementation as it’s robust and actively developed.
  • “CV” patching for parameter automation (formerly an LV2 feature) is now available in JACK2 via the port metadata feature, and there has been some adoption of the technology. More information can be found on this linuxmusicians.com post. There are certainly rough edges and gaps in the ecosystem as it stands (i.e., sequencing & recording), but it’s worth a mention.
  • JACK port metadata has also allowed for MIDNAM information to be presented on MIDI ports (formerly possible with just LV2), with Carla adding this recently. Not a full system for passing parameter names between apps yet, but a start.
  • falkTX has done some next level things in the last year or so with Carla and session management. They recently did a short talk at Sonoj, JACK/NSM Applications in Carla and Carla as Wine plugin, which touched on using VCV Rack within Carla (tl;dw: NSM support in VCV Rack would make using it easier). Their longer Past, Present and Future of the JACK Audio Connection Kit talk was also rather insightful.
8 Likes