Basic Microwaving's Patches

I suppose I’ll open up a thread to share my goings-on with VCV Rack and my exploration into ambient and generative patching. I still have a LOT to learn, and I am really looking forward to doing so!

1 Like

Here’s my first proper video of VCV Rack (on my new music channel). I have some other videos but they’re mixed in with stupid videos on one of my other channels, so I won’t be sharing them until I get around to re-uploading them. I’ve been making music for about 3.5 years now but I’ve only started delving into modular and generative in the last year or so.

I called this one “lethargy electric”, and its not anything super special in my honest opinion, but I really like how it turned out. I’ve been messing with Vult’s new Mysteries collection, which is a lot of fun, as well as some experimentation with creating variations in sequences with Geodesics’ “fate” and the like.

If there are any tips for generative patching (in VCV, I am limited to software b/c of being a broke college boy) or spicing up an ambient piece, I’d love to hear them!

6 Likes

Very nice patch, looking forward to more!

1 Like

In case anyone is interested, this is the “”“Fixed”“” rack that I’m currently using. I’m doing my absolute best to keep it fixed, but you know how it goes. There’s a few paid modules- notably Host and the Vult Mysteries collection.

Fixed Rack.vcv (17.6 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the patch…

1 Like

Here’s my newest track. I made this one entirely in VCV as well. Sometimes I’ll use external hardware synths (controlled by CV > MIDI), but not this time. I picked up Sound Stage per recommendation of a kind user and used it to modulate the main key sound you hear at the beginning and through the whole track.

1 Like

A new generative patch I made. I used Erica Synths’ black wavetable as the main drone and sub-bass, and their tube delay to distort it. The rest was 2 modules of Basal, one of which was distorted by a second ES delay.

6 Likes

Man, there are some really interesting textures there. Great sound design.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it “design” so much as “throwing sounds at a wall and seeing what sticks,” lol. Thank you, though!

I have compiled my first non-single release as “Basic Microwaving”! It’s available to download for free on bandcamp here. It will also be on streaming services soon enough. It’s all dark ambient, bordering on drone. I promise it’s not for everyone.

Also, here is the final track I made for the album.

2 Likes