unless modules : new ( avoider, pianoid )

also changed the styling on the sus button of pianoid to use the same color logic as here : bright means on, dark means off now, but it might be better to use the accent color in place of bright, or add some lights, cause it is a bit confusing…

ups! the PLS was outputting the notes to avoid, instead of the notes to keep :smiley: fixed it, now this can be used to see the “scale” you get for different chords and intervals

2 Likes

the problem with the buttons is it is much easier to enable too many of them and being left with just the chord-notes as output, while using the knobs meant you changed intervals instead of add/remove

so it is more understandable but gives more chance to have uninteresting results.

1 Like

Trying out a third option, that is just one knob that goes through all the permutations of the six toggles. It is impossible to have a “best” order in which it does that, so I’m a bit hesitant with this solution, but overall it is much better to experiment with than the buttons, it is faster! But if you want to have a specific setting it might be frustrating to find it…

Trying to order the permutations now, they are separated by how many intervals are being avoided, and inside those groups I also try to make it so it goes from avoiding more of the “dissonant” intervals (m2/m3/TT or steps 1 3 6) towards avoiding more “consonant” stuff (M2/M3/P4 or steps 2 4 5). I got bored with it for now, so only the first 2 group is ordered, but I’ll do the rest later. Maybe I should just leave out the groups with 4 and 5 avoided intervals altogether, since those avoid almost everything on even single-note chord inputs, also turning the knob would be more comfortable if there weren’t 64 separate states.

Reworked the panel too, it is getting slimmer which is weird. :slight_smile:

Here is an example:

• blue is the chord that gets arpeggiated (only 3-note chords now)
  • red is the scale out, just to see what are the available notes
  • yellow is the note output

updated the builds

2 Likes

Here comes a fourth option, which is having two knobs, one for selecting the group of intervals and one for setting how many of them are active.

I came to this solution as the number of intervals you’d want to avoid depends mostly on how many notes your inputted “chords” have, so it feels better to have this setting separate.

There is also a “keep chord notes” toggle now, that can disable the chord notes in the output in case you wanted to avoid duplicating notes in your harmony.

Instead of ordering the intervals over the knob’s range by intuition I made up a rule to get an order procedurally.

more

Basically each interval gets a rating from -3 to +3 depending on how simple their “ideal” ratio is compared to a root note. Each permutation then gets rated by adding up the contained intervals’ rating (ties get solved by checking the sign of the highest rated value). Based on this they get spread around the “harmony” knob. This at least results in a symmetric order…

Reordered the panel to fit everything.

Overall I’m still not sure about this module: what it needs or if it is needed at all.

Here’s a self-playing patch to reflect on this feeling :wink:

download builds

4 Likes