Trouble understanding options under "Engine / Threads"

Doesn’t the audio module show that?

Which module is that? You mean Audio-8 and Audio-16? I thought that was just the CPU used by the Audio-8 (or -16) module, not the total CPU. It seems too low to be the total CPU (if you add up the percentages of the individual modules, the total is usually higher than the figure display by the audio module).

Anyway, IMHO, it should be appear automatically whenever you select Engine / CPU meter from the menu. Maybe it could be displayed somewhere to the right of the menu.

1 Like

Oh, I’m probably thinking of accident versions of those modules. Sure you are right.

I believe you are right and I’m puzzled about it. I know Andrew received complaints from people about the old, opposite way of showing it, but it was very useful - you could see exactly how close your patch was to audio stuttering. The current meter; I find it hard to see it’s usefulness for anything.

2 Likes

It does let you see which modules are cpu pigs so that you know to find an alternative.

Oh sure, I meant the meter on the Audio module itself, after it changed behaviour. The CPU meter in general is great, I just find it useless for the Audio module now and would love the old behaviour back.

2 Likes

I wish I understood this better. I’ve only got two cores (I know, embarassing vs @Squinky’ six) and am currently looking at a patch that Task Manager says takes about 4% when set to one thread, and 35% when set to two threads. There must be a lot of ‘something’ going on.

Haha. I get a new computer maybe every 10 years. This year was my lucky year. I suspect what you are observing in task manager is some “overhead” for the extra thread. It may or may not mean anything. But I think the recommendation s to always leave one unused by audio for “other stuff”, like the non audio part of rack.

1 Like

no it’s not, the most modules is 1 thread per core. My 12 core Ryzen shows 12 threads for max modules and 24 total as it should, hyperthreading is counterproductive in non-mixed workloads, so never allocate more than 1 thread per core…

1 Like