Triangular Simmetry

haha - probably not quite, though. I think you know that if you run a signal though a non-linear function that there is the potential for a lot of aliasing.

What’s a non-linear function? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I rest my case.

1 Like

gosh, you mean you didn’t have to take two years of calculus to get an engineering degree? :wink:

I think technically a function f(x) is linear if an only if f(k * x) = k * f(x).

You lost me at f(

2 Likes

Before people knew the truth, I remember people would say “oh, computer programming, that sounds interesting, but don’t you need to know a lot of math”? And I would say “No. At most of my jobs I’ve been the best person at math, and that’s only because I actually remember the stuff I learned in high school and can still do it.”

I heard it’s easy to learn math in the US, as you only need to learn one thing.

Here in the UK we learn maths, which is lots of different things, and therefore much harder.

haha, yes, I know of these maths. I had a (very young) co-worker who we addressed as “doctor”. a) because it was funny b) he had a PHD, c) he was from the UK, and knew maths.

As I promised, here’s the patch (I will never stop to upgrade it but this is at a nice point):

Legend: RED audio GREEN modulators YELLOW logic codes BLU keyboard CV PURPLE metering

The first row is structured for the melodic lines. A central oscillator is flanked by one used for the reinforcement of the fundamental. The two lateral oscillators can be used to enrich the sound and generate slight specular detunings, thanks to the offset generator connected to the FM input of both and sent to each with opposite sign.

In the rows below there are 4 pairs of lateral oscillators. Each of the pairs can be mirrored as explained above (interesting and very detailed modulations can be made in my opinion, to justify the size of so many sound sources.

Each oscillator (except the two central ones) is equipped with octave and phase adjustment.

Each signal routed into the central mixers (to adjust their relative level) is then sent to a panner and the output of each panner is routed into two pairs of mixers to reach the stereo output of the patch.

Each LFO receives its clock connected to an octave regulator for doubling or halving the bpm, such as the sequencer and the random generator.

In the patch there are also a noise generator and 4 switches to use with imagination.

Great! I’m not at Rack at the moment, but I would love to check this out as soon as I get a chance.

1 Like

Maybe abuse the Sckitam WaveguideDelay to modulate the Phase of any oscillator (unipolar, bipolar including audiorate).

Adding to the Waveshaper thing:

You can use MindMeld Shapemaster as a Waveshaper. Even the free version.

• Connect your “phase modulator” / “phasor” (envelope or oscillator or whatever) to the T/G input.
  • Set Range to -5V/+5V and Trigger to CV (bipolar control of the “read head” position/phase).
  • Draw any waveshape / transform function (symmetrical/asymmetrical, anything)
  • The resulting shaped “shape” (signal) can be picked up from the CV output.

Jakub Ciupinski has a series of videos on ShapeMaster where this (and much more) is demonstrated.

This way you can also just draw any waveshape in Shapemaster and then control the “read head” with a mathematically perfect Saw (45 degree straight line). It will then just scan the wave “linearly” as if it were a wave from a wavetable. Effectively creating any oscillatorshape.

But…beware…just drawing any shape and scan/output it gives you little control over the actual frequencies (spectrum) you will generate. Including way to high frequencies that might lead to aliasing. Especially if there are “sharp” discontinuities in the “wave”.

Of course you can also chain ShapeMasters. E.g. so you can also determine/manipulate the shape of the “phasor” (any shape different from linear/saw). E.g. have one set up as the waveshaper transfer function and another as the oscillator shape.

You could of course also just mix/crossfade channels.

Anyway, it will give all sorts of “oscillator” / “waveshaper” options you might like to explore.

E.g. PWM can achived by waveshaping a square. A saw for a “phasor” will give you the 50% pulse. A curve upward (or downward) will change the pulsewidth.

EDIT: BTW “PWM” could be applied to any waveshape this way…

Maybe better stop here. Already way too many words.

Just one more:

ShapeMaster is not polyphonic as an “oscillator”. But it has multiple channels. You could use SPLIT/MERGE to connect a channel per voice.

1 Like