Tonecarver modules

Here is a place to discuss Tonecarver modules.

And as a starter, here is an early look at an upcoming generative sequencer. Close but not quite not ready for public beta testing.

8 Likes

This is awesome! Almost gives me ORCĪ› vibes, but is definitely its own thing. When you start doing poly thereā€™s quite a few clicks, I think it might work better if you leave the max number of poly channels youā€™ll use allocated and just send 0V over that cable when not in use to avoid the number of signals changing and causing clicking the disconnection of that cable causes. Iā€™d also potentially like a piano-input instead of the root&scale controls as, espicially with generative stuff, I might want to be more restrictive with the notes, but have more range in number of octaves.

Finally, Iā€™m curious, is it possible to change a note box on the main canvas? Obviously without seeing the code itā€™s difficult to know if this would be hard to iimplement, but I could see being able to scroll over one of the colored squares and change itā€™s note as being a neat ability.

This is super cool though and Iā€™m really looking forward to making some bleep bloops with it!

1 Like

Very cool - I havenā€™t done any sophisticated sequencing yet, but this might nudge me in that direction.

Being able to place notes within the interior might be nice. Not sure if triangles should bounce off randomly, or pass through, or ā€¦?

Not sure how many scales it supports, but user defined scales might be nice. (load scala files? - not sure if that is the right term).

Being able to assign characteristics to individual moving triangles could be cool. Like maybe assigning different gate lengths. Or maybe the wall collision has the potential to modify the scale rotation, or root, or ā€¦? depending on the attribute assigned to the triangle. Or triangle/object collisions could arm some effect that gets applied at the next wall collision.

Not sure about the UI, but assigning sub-regions within a wall to a channel could also be interesting. Gives the possibility of more than 4 channels.

Like Vega, I also thought about assigning note values to individual boxes, but then I can see how that might not play nicely with some of your other features. Difficult to tell without seeing a manual.

So looks like there is an option for collisions to destroy triangles. Maybe already there, but an autogeneration of triangles might also be good.

Looking forward to trying this out.

2 Likes

Thanks! Good ideas. Using a piano-style selector for the scale notes is a very interesting idea that might even make it possible to implement a particular scale definition problem I was struggling with. The panel size would have to grow to make room for the controls though.

Changing the notes in the note boxes on the canvas is probably achievable but may not be necessary if notes are entered in a piano style control.

1 Like

Cool ideas. Thanks! FYI, the walls do have an auto-rotation setting so that the notes shift up or down by selectable amount when a rover strikes a wall. There is also a climb option that moves the rover some distance ā€œsidewaysā€ when it strikes a wall.

@tonecarver it looks great!

Is there a CV input or knob for transposing in the VCV version? (Sorry I have trouble seeing the GUI labels on the video.) My most adored Nova3 functions were the transition/offset options. I mean these ones:

The VCV version has CV input to adjust the ā€˜climbā€™ factor, (outlined in the upper red boxes), where rover shifts to new row or column after striking a wall. The scales (outlined by the lower red box) are handled a little differently.

The VCV version has a palette of 3 scales each with assignable root note. One of the scales is selected as the active scale by button click or CV input. All of the walls use notes from the active scale.

The scales are independent so you could set up all 3 with the same scale and different root notes, for example, or 3 different scales with the same root, or any combination of scales and root notes, then use CV to control which scale is active in real time.

1 Like

The Beta version of the ā€˜Travelerā€™ module is now ready for public consumption. Traveler is a generative sequencer where rovers move through a matrix, encountering obstacles and other rovers, and eventually striking a wall to produce V/Oct voltage level outputs.

Rack v1 only so far. Will port to Rack v2 after incorporating changes resulting from the beta period.

Brief demo video:

Compiled Windows version here: Dropbox - Tonecarver-1.0.2-win.zip - Simplify your life

Source is in GitHub here (in the v1 branch): GitHub - Tonecarver/tcRackModules at v1

Scale files are here: Dropbox - scales.zip - Simplify your life Download and unzip these to somewhere on your hard drive. Traveler can load up to 4 scales at a time. To load a scale, right click on Traveler to show the popup context menu, browse to the scale folder, and select a scale file.

Manual is here: tcRackModules/README.md at v1 Ā· Tonecarver/tcRackModules Ā· GitHub

Have fun!

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I look forward to tinkering with this. The scales sound a good idea as well. Much appreciated.

Weird I have just moved the Rar to ā€˜plugin v1ā€™ folder and the Traveller module is not in the Library when I open a patch, is there a logical explanation for this?

1 Like

Hmmm ā€¦ what OS are you using? Is there anything in the VCV log file (c:\Users<username>\Documents\Rack\log.txt) indicating errors with Tonecarver or Traveler? Did you install the 1.0.2 zip file?

FYI I managed to (manually) install the Win binary with VCV Rack v1.1.6 under Win10. It works as expected but I had only a few minutes to experiment with it.

Actually I missed the scale files though. They arenā€™t in the package, are they?

I am on Windows 10, yes I installed the 1.0.2 zip into the plugin v1 folder, See below from log:

Extracting package C:\Users \Adyb1\DOCUME~1/Rack/plugins-v1/Tonecarver.zip [0.149 warn src/plugin.cpp:158] Could not load plugin C:\Users

It did mention something about being not able to load scales, I put them into the same Rar rather foolishly possibly?!

The scale files are in a separate zip: Dropbox - scales.zip - Simplify your life

Unzip them wherever you like and browse there from the right-click menu to load a scale.

Not sure about using the Rar. Recommend dropping the 1.0.2 zip file, as is, into the v1 folder. Traveler will run without any scales loaded - it defaults to a western major scale.

Once the module is running, download the scales.zip and unzip them to some folder. Use the right-click popup menu to browse to that folder to load scales.

Well the whole 1.0.2 zip file did go into the plugin folder. So Iā€™m not sure why the Traveller module is not there, could you put the Traveller module separate in a zip file?? Would that solve it?

I uploaded a new zip file, v1.0.3, to dropbox. Please place this zip file in your Rack v1 folder (and remove other Tonecarver zip files): Dropbox - Tonecarver-1.0.3-win.zip - Simplify your life

I also submitted a request to have this version uploaded to the VCV library so if manual installation fails we should have success loading from the Rack Library.

PS. My scale files are not under the Rack v1 folder.

Rack v1 folder is here: C:\Users<username>\Documents\Rack\plugins-v1
Scale files are here: C:\Users<username>\VCV-Rack\scales

Thank you for that, worked fine, just trying it out using Atelier Palette Duo and they are working fine together. Also I am sequencing Chronoblob delay creating some beautiful random echoes!! Wunderbar, excellente!!

1 Like

hello !

Iā€™m very exiting to test your sequencer, but i canā€™t find it in the VCV library ! I hope it will come soon !

or, at least, can you make a build for linux ?

thankā€™s a lot and have a good day !

1 Like

I do not have the equipment to make a Linux build but the module should be available in the library soon, the next time they make a library update.