Tips for using clocks limited to 300 BPM when need faster rate?

For example, I use JW Simple Clock 99 out of 100 times because I want > 300 BPM.

But it’s not dark :yum:

Seriously, though, there are other clocks that have great features but are limited to 300 BPM. Multiplying the main clock negates most of the benefits I’d get out of a more sophisticated clock.

What am I missing? Why are so many clocks limited to 300 BPM?

So the multiplied outputs the Impromptu clocks won’t do it for you? Is suspect the answer to your question is “because music is almost never this fast”? But I don’t make clocks…

2 Likes

cant’t you use a pulse wave lfo? 1Hz is 60bpm, so if 1024Hz aren’t fast enough, maybe change it to an oscillator? you could get up to about 355.000bpm with VCO-1?

2 Likes

Why does multiplying the main clock negate most of the benefits? What benefits?

A clock is just a series of pulses - if you set Clocked to 300bpm and use the x2 output you will get the equivalent of a 600 bpm clock pulse - no more, no less.

What genre of music are you making that is over 300bpm? and please would you share a video of people dancing to it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Clock multipliers are no different than having a faster clock. But if it’s important that you have 1 module going stupid speeds, use an oscillator. They can go thousands of bpm if you need.

1 Like

Nope. To begin with, I immediately lose a clock. Now I’m down to three clocks instead of four. Also, multiplying makes the math harder and sometimes impossible. Take CLKD for example. If I double the clock and then need a division by 5, I can do this by dividing the original clock by 2.5, which CLKD has. But if I need a division by 7 I’m out of luck because there is no 3.5. Even if it did the hassle wouldn’t be worth it.

I actually do when I need something with a dark panel :yum:

But that’s not the issue because Simple Clock is fast enough. The issue is that I want to make sure I’m not leaving anything on the table with these more sophisticated clocks.

You can take a look at ZZC Clock and Divider which allows any fraction of divisions and multiplications.

4 Likes

Sadly, I’m the only one who dances to it and, believe me, you don’t want to see that!

For first question, see my reply to Squinky.

Trade secrets won’t allow me to fully reveal the reason for the speed :yum: but one case is that I like to use 16-step sequences for more resolution than an 8-step sequence and I also like to randomize gates so sometimes I like what I hear but it needs to be sped up more than normal.

Agree, but Simple Clock is fast enough. I’m just greedy and want to make sure I’m not missing something that would allow me to use more sophisticated clocks.

Funny, I just bookmarked that today (mainly because it has a dark panel :yum:) but I also like that it has swing. I really like RGATE too.

Haven’t used anything else since ZZC was released, great bit of kit.

2 Likes

FYI, I’ve been playing with this one…

…because I already have the plugin and it has a dark theme (but that bright green rectangle is still on there :nauseated_face:). But it has divisions, goes really fast, and can modulate also. Now if I could only get swing and pulse width :muscle:

edit ~/.Rack/plugins-v1/Ohmer/res/KlokSpid_Absolute_Night.svg with e.g. inkscape and turn evil green to deepest black :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re curious check the “Speedcore” Wikipedia page, which also mentions “Splittercore”, “Extratone” and “Flashcore”. They’re clearly niche kinds of music. Moby is way more popular and made a song called “Thousand”.

I guess there’s a market opportunity for an extreme clock named Speed of Darkness. Black panel with black skulls, black on black display, Vantablack™ knobs.

2 Likes

well, if you want to make any “black midi” videos in VCV you will need some CPU efficient VCOs…

As there is no clock among the base VCV modules I use the clock of the SEQ-3 sequencer. It goes up to 3840 bpm

1 Like

I’ve definitely had Inkscape on my list to figure out. Your response reminded me of that. It’s very easy to use!

I probably need to re-evaluate my methods. My music isn’t that fast. I just use 16-step sequences too much maybe when I should be using more shuffle/swing perhaps.

Nice!