Tips for creating Funk Instruments in Rack; exploring non-generative patches

Thanks for the hints. I don’t have an octave transpose built into mine yet, but it’s a great idea so the range is generally right without messing with the controller’s octave buttons. I’ve done nothing with aftertouch as my Edirol/Roland controllers make it so you nearly have to stand on the keys to trigger it. There’s evidently some surgery that can fix that, but I’ve not cracked those cases yet.

Other things you probably want to explore are the various filters. Vult’s stuff, Zzzorb, and Lindenbergs are your friends here. BTW: while I try to stay with Vult’s free modules so I can share, Ferox, and Freak are not to be missed. I don’t have enough experience with Vortex or Vorg to make an endorsement. :frowning:

Greets fellow non-generative guy!

:joy::+1::wink:

By the way, if you’re using my first two bass patches, strongly consider replacing the VCAs with Vult’s new Punch. It’s in the Vult Modules Free too, and it gives a lot more character to the bass. The mode switch is sort of like a clean/distort channel switch with guitar. I think you’ll like this a lot.

Up to now I have mostly been using VCV Rack to play with generative functions, but recently bought the Entrian sequencers bundle and that changed my view of the rack completely to suddenly have access to a straightforward and very DAW-like sequencing (and editing!) UI changes the feel of Rack completely. I imagine when the Rack plugin comes out there’ll be a similar sea change.

One thing I have explored more in Voltage Modular because of its plugin nature, but could still be done in Rack now, is to use various generative tools to trigger occasional arpeggiated note cascades or sound drifting from live input MIDI to enhance what you’re playing. That would fit in fine with live playing as you can get variation, but somewhat tamed by being quantised to fit a scale and time signature.

1 Like

Another I do is to manually record grooves in my DAW. I’ll play 16ths, while playing along to a groove I like. Using Loopmidi I’ll send them to VCV and I use the gates as clock source. (The velocity too) I’ll record a bunch to alternate between.

This is really nice to incorporate some modular style techniques: I do quite like the Steevio polyrhythm techniques for percussion layers. With my manual groove as clock it feels really organic.

for notes only, our Seq++ has been around since the dawn of time, and it free.

seq

2 Likes

Specifically the Entrian Timeline module. I must admit though I missed yours somewhere in the mist of the 2000+ modules! Cool that you’ve provided a free option with a piano roll style view.

1 Like