Things sound different to me when I'm looking at the scope

Am I alone?

1 Like

…it could be a quantum behavior, uncertainty and things

perhaps the visual support help you to "feel " more in deep the sound, as a complete experience, it happens to my son, he love listen music and see the bigger scopes of renoise , actually to him the scope is “musica” is hypnotic to him

1 Like

Which scope and what sort of difference?

Wait, wait, do you mean when you look away from the scope things sound different? Or if you plug a scope in it sounds different?

1 Like

Interesting!

VCV Scope with wave form. I haven’t done much testing but I can listen to a patch without scope and it sounds different and when I put the scope back on it sounds the same again.

1 Like

I always “listen” with Bogaudio Analyzer XL. It hears better than I do.

3 Likes

This is a well established phenomenon. All of our senses are interrelated. We can only concentrate on so much stimuli, regardless of what type it is. When we’re in the car trying to think about which direction to turn, we have to turn the radio down to focus on our spatial position. Each sense is also affected by the other. The perceived taste of a food or drink can depend greatly on how it looks, so high end liquors have artificial colours added to them.

Coming from the live music world, I can’t tell you how many times I or those I’ve worked with have tweaked compressors or EQs to get it “just right” only to realise the unit we were adjusting wasn’t actually active in the chain.

3 Likes

Maybe 20 years ago someone made a rack mount processor called “the matererizer”. It has one switch with two settings “on” and “more on”. Of course there was nothing inside the box, it was just a joke. Pro tools used to have a plugin version of the mastererizer, but it may be discontinued now, don’t know.

2 Likes