The sonaremin v1.1.6 now supports the raspberry pi 4

Yes rpi4.

i have uploaded a new version of the sonaremin image for the raspberry pi 4 which should now also work for models with more than 1gb of memory - you can download it from https://github.com/hexdump0815/sonaremin/releases/tag/v1.1.6_4

@adamburr @magneticstripper and @23volts - can you please give it a try an let me know if it works for you now? it should now also use all available memory on the rpi4 …

best wishes - hexdump

1 Like

@hexdump Yep, that worked. Awesome! i am a Linux invertebrate, so, all i can say is midi and audio work! Thank you!

just a quick update: i have built a new version of the sonaremin which is available here: https://github.com/hexdump0815/sonaremin/releases/tag/v1.1.6_5 … i did a lot of cleanup under the hood and removed the just added support for the sfizz sfz sampler as it did not work reliable … the raspberry pi 4 support i would still call “beta” - it works with my earlier mentioned hack to limit the ram to the first 1gb (which is the default for now on the rpi4) on the 1gb (tested), 2gb (untested, but should work) and 4gb (tested) model (thanks a lot for the hw donation to @adamburr btw.) but it does not yet work on the 8gb model - i tried different kernel versions, but nothing worked really good all around and nothing worked on a borrowed 8gb model at all … looks like i’ll have to follow the actual rpi 4 kernel development a little longer … but in general it should work quite well on all rpi 4’s except the 8gb model now already and out of the box … i’ll update you in case i’m having any progress in this area

best wishes - hexdump

2 Likes

Hi all - Amazing project, @hexdump

Since learning about this I’ve dreamt of building a standalone VCV rack box in a 40hp 4ms podX case I’ve had lying around, with Expert Sleepers es-3 and es-6 for the inputs and outputs.

Looking around for soundcards I found the Hifi Berry Digi+ I/O which has lightpipe in and out. Does anyone have any experience using this sound card with the expert sleepers stuff?

The Hifi berry digi+ I/O has optical SPDIF - not ADAT Lightpipe. Same TOSLINK connector - different signals.

miniDSP usb streamer is the least expensive USB ADAT interface i have seen - don’t know if it has raspi drivers. But then the ES-9 probably would be a better solution - if it works in raspi.

Hifiberry Spdif interface perhaps can be used with ES-40 and expanders, using the electrical connectors - but “the ES-40 requires particular software in order to generate meaningful output signals” - Not avalable for raspi it seems.

1 Like

just a little update: i have created a fresh arm build of vcvrack (now with 150 open source plugins included resulting in 1640 vcvrack modules!) and have updated the sonaremin images: https://github.com/hexdump0815/sonaremin/releases/tag/v1.1.6_6 … besides that in this version it is now possible to set the sample rate used by jack and vcvrack in the sonaremin.conf and some minor improvements and fixes went in … the raspberry pi 4 situation is still the same: it should run on all versions except the 8gb version and so far only uses 1gb of the ram (which is fine for now for the sonaremin) - maybe the next linux kernel version brings some progress and i’m also looking around for possible patches (the problem seems to be a new handling of the usb controller firmware in the 8gb model and for this some u-boot kernel interaction will be required in the setup i use)

best wishes - hexdump

2 Likes

i have created a new build of vcvrack for arm and the sonaremin - they are available from:

and:

here are some of the changes:

• using a new vcvrack build (1.1.16_5 - 25.08.2020) with 162 open source plugins included resulting in 1700+ vcvrack modules!
  • allow setting a default kbd language for the display mode in sonaremin.txt config file
  • linux kernel and mesa 3d graphics library (where used) updated
  • raspberry pi kernel updated to v5.8.2 - still limited to using 1gb ram on the rpi4 1/2/4gb model - the 8gb model still does not work yet - rpi 3b/3b+ works fine too
  • small fixes here and there

best wishes - hexdump

4 Likes

Hi amb3nt-gsa,

Please let us know if you make any progress! I was thinking of something similar; I have a homemade 3u 61hp, which I want to expand to 6u or 7u, plus 4u for a 14" screen that shows 2 rows of VCV rack. Originally I wanted to go for a touchscreen, but it seems that won’t really work with VCV. To keep it low-cost, I’ll probably use a simple monitor and keyboard with trackpad.

I have an Expert Sleepers ES-8, And I’d add expanders (on the back of the case, modded for 1/4" jacks to interface directly with my patchbay).USB slots in the case for Midi and a mini keyboard with trackpad and it should be good to go.

So similarly, I’m interested if anyone has experience with expert sleepers interfaces on Sonaremin.

I tried sonaremin on an rpi4 and it’s fantastic! I had one of these 3,5 inches TFT display and thought it would be fantastic to edit some parameter in a hybrid display/headless package, but could not make it work. the /boot folder structure seems different from vanilla ubuntu, do you think there is any chance to make GitHub - goodtft/LCD-show: 2.4" 2.8"3.2" 3.5" 5.0" 7.0" TFT LCD driver for the Raspberry PI 3B+/A/A+/B/B+/PI2/ PI3/ZERO/ZERO W driver works with sonaremin? Thanks for this amazing tool!

i’m happy to hear that you are enjoying the sonaremin … i think in theory it should be possible to get this display working … for the rpi4 image i’m using the rpi kernel sources which might result in a slightly different /boot structure - i’m actually currently waiting for the rpi4 being fully supported by the mainline linux kernel so that i can use that one which should result in a much more standard kernel setup - my last test was with 5.10, but there it looks like the v3d gpu acceleration was still not fully mainlined, so i’m still a bit in waiting mode regarding the rpi4

best wishes - hexdump

1 Like

Fantastic, i’m really not at the point of modifying kernels, but i’ll check again later! thanks a lot.

I just picked up a Raspberry Pi 4 so this thread is pertinent to my interests. Got it and a little MIDI board with 5 pin DIN in and out to try and get around Roland’s complete disinterest in providing a working Windows 10 driver for the Boss GP-10 pedal that I use as an input from my MIDI guitar. Plan was to try and inspect the data coming from the USB and grab anything that looks like MIDI data and forward it on to the MIDI out DIN port.

Even if I get it working that alone is a bit of a waste of the Pi’s capabilities so I’m also investigating other options such as using it as a hardware MIDI sequencer, but would be really cool to have VCV running used as a “Multi-Effect in a box” for processing audio (which I presume would require me buying a particular ‘hat’ for it) via VCV e.g. just having the Plateau and Chronoblob effects in a box would surpass any pedals I currently have for doing DAW-less jamming.

All sorts of cool accessories available, just wish I had a 3D printer/CNC laser cutter to go with it. I guess those sorts of things can be hired for one off prototype jobs though. Hmmm. Could be fun.

Edit: Damn, just saw the note that the 8GB version - the one I bought - isn’t currently supported by this sonaremin build. Is there any way round that e.g. can I use config to ‘pretend’ it’s a 4GB device?

sorry for the delay - i was a bit offline … there is a newer version available which should support the 8gb model now as well at Release based on vcvrack v1.1.6 (nineth edition) · hexdump0815/sonaremin-ng · GitHub - sadly this version has a problem with the audio output jack … i already have built a newer linux kernel, but still have to test if that maybe will fix that problem - so stay tuned …

2 Likes

great news, thanks for the update

@hexdump great news. Is there a hat you recommend for output of audio and CV?

@pgatt - i’m using those cheap little pc2704 usb audio interfaces for audio out: sonaremin/pcm2704-01.jpg at master · hexdump0815/sonaremin · GitHub … i also experimented to use audio in/out (and i think even cv worked somehow) over wired ethernet and jack

best wishes - hexdump

1 Like

Have you got a version working with Raspberry pi 4 4gB and VCV 2 yet? About to pull the pin on the rpi but might wait till VCV2 is available on it. Still tossing up whether to get the 4 or 8gB version.

i’m still waiting for v2 to be fully released before i start looking at getting it running on linux/arm - i do not want to do this on a too much moving target right now … regarding the rpi4: i can only recommend you to get the 4gb version as with the 8gb version there are still problems with the sonaremin and 8gb on an rpi are a bit overkill anyway i think

best wishes - hexdump

@hexdump thanks. I think that was the way I was leaning. And yeah definitely understand not wanting to build something like this on a moving target. Won’t be too long before the ABI is declared stable any way.