The House of GEODESICS

Thanks Marc and Pierre! Looks and sounds great, looking forward to play… :+1:

2 Likes

Dark Energy looks amazing, and like a really deep module. Good thing it has a top-notch manual, it definately seems like a “read the manual” module. My first puzzlement is when just placing the module, without touching any knobs or doing anything, the outputs of M and -E is an inaudible G10 tone. Is that expected? I actually struggle to get anything audibly useful out of it. I’m on macOS 10.12.6 and using latest preview v2.2.5c

Edit: Ok, this is a bit strange. The 4th time or so, that I placed a Dark Energy in the patch, it now outputs C4 as expected, and are giving usable results. Can’t explain…

Edit 2: How strange. Place a Dark Energy that works. Close Rack. Open Rack and now it doesn’t work. The issue seems centered around the Freq functionality/knobs. Something about their initialization.

Edit 3: I can reliably reproduce this issue with this simple patch:

DarkEnergyFrequencyIssue.vcv (1.3 KB)

I make the patch. It works. I close Rack and open it again, it doesn’t work. I reload the patch from Recent… or from File-Open and it works, etc. Seems definately something to do with initialization of some kind. Notice the interesting detail that when it doesn’t work the blue frequence light on the modulator freq knob is lit, but when it works it is not lit.

2 Likes

I’m on win7, the latest VCV. Can’t reproduce this issue with my patch… I’ll try your patch just in case. Even though they are identical…

1 Like

Unfortunately, I had made big promises of baking an elaborate cake today so I have to stop playing and patching now, but I’m loving it so far!

1 Like

Yeah, reloaded your patch 10 times, no issue. Might be MacOS thing

1 Like

here on Win11 I can’t reproduce the issue

1 Like

That looks like a very elaborated cake to me!

stuper strange… the blue led shows the high freq, but the knob is normal… As said in the manual, very little is known about darke energy :slight_smile: we’ll have our astromer department look into that

2 Likes

Thanks for the clear bug report Lars, I was able to get the issue after a few close/open cycles on my Mac, and so there’s definitely something intermittent in there to hunt down!

Update: I think I spotted the issue, should be able to update the builds in the next hour or so.

1 Like

Builds updated in the github release. Thanks again Lars, if you spot anything else, please let us know!

3 Likes

lin-arm64 build too. VCV - Google Drive

EDIT: The quantum commutator of gravitational field energy with radius goes up as the square of radius by hbar over 2. Tangentially the delta r increases the Pythagorean r.

EDIT2: It is MOND compliant. The strong force comutator goes up with 1/r hbar over 2, or singularly weird.

3 Likes

Thank you. Seems the distinguished astronomer mr. Boulé has spotted a ripple in the darkness…

Yup, seems to have fixed it. Thanks a bunch Marc!

3 Likes

One thing I would love in both Energy and Dark Energy is a DC-Offset filter on the outputs, since it gets very high depending on settings.

2 Likes

Easy to add, but for a decision on this, I’ll send that one over to the lead scientist on the project :wink: @pyer

(It would have to be on only in VCO mode, since it might have negative repercussions on any LFO we try to generate.)

1 Like

Another thing, and it’s quite possible I’m not understanding yet, but - there’s CV input for the central cross-mod and self-mod, which is great. But there’s no CV input for the M and C cross-mod/self-mod respectively, which is a real shame since modulating those is a whole other timbral universe, with different sounds than “just” modulating the central CV’s. Seems like a big missed opportunity, or maybe I’m just misunderstanding or haven’t gotten the point yet.

Apart from that I love the sounds I’m getting from Dark Energy so far! And how little CPU it uses!!

1 Like

Uhm. When the frequency mode is set to Ratio (blue led), shouldn’t the CV input reflect turning the frequency knob?

Yes. I’m talking about the cross-mod and self-mod CV inputs. They go to the two central cross-mod and self-mod knobs. But the 4 left/right cross-mod and self-mod knobs have no CV input, and using them independently gives quite diferent sounds.

There are I think three ways to go with DC offset.

1. just generate DC all the time like you report: very bad for an audio freq VCO.
  2. put in a context menu item or other UI to turn it on and off (but default to no dc, please).
  3. remove it all the time. can be problematic for LFO applications, but is it really, and do you really care?

here is my old rant on DC

2 Likes

How many high pass filters are there on the module list?

EDIT: You should make one and call it “locality” (*4).

The problems with your solution are,

1. the user needs to know to do it, which is quite unlikely unless they are Lars.

2. asking someone to fix a deficiency in your module by using another one looks bad.