The EMS Synthi VCS3 Project

If I look at how my VCS3 is laid out, it seems like the basic modules and the pin matrix would be no bigger than Dexter (as an example). Especially if you did (as the Synthi does) limit the number of incoming and outgoing connections.

Really it’s 3 oscillators, a noise source, an envelope, a filter, a spring reverb, a ring module, a tone control and a joystick. With two inputs and two outputs. There’s a Nysthi module for each of those. The EMS style is immaterial.

I see what you mean, it is probably quite unclear what the functions are on first sight! I must have gotten used to the layout so much that I didn’t think of adding labels! The knobs should be laid out like on the original though, so having one yourself should help with figuring out what everything does :slight_smile:

The four pin matrices function like one 16x16 matrix (minus the Meter Output, I want to put that in but I first have to see how it’s actually used), the respective inputs being doubled horizontally, the respective vertical outputs being summed in the bottom row of Strum modules on the left, some of them mixed with knob parameters.

And thanks, I like getting feedback like this on what can be improved! I just made a labelled version which I actually prefer over what I had, I find it’s very clear now what every knob does, and for reference I included a picture of the patch matrix. I tried label modules for that too but it takes up too much space and in the end isn’t very readable.

EMS VCS3 GUI INIT Patch Labelled.vcv (163.8 KB)

I hope this makes for a lot more usable instrument!

2 Likes

I’m having problems with the matrix label. It’s not rendering. Anybody else suffering the same or is it just me?

I didn’t realize the pictures are not included in the patch, I will upload them here so you can include them yourself :slight_smile:

EMS%20VCS3%20Patch%20Matrix1

EMS%20VCS3%20Patch%20Matrix2

2 Likes

I just noticed I mixed up the knobs for Reverb Mix and Level, this is of course easily fixed by swapping the two knobs, the labels are in the right place.

I found some tabla sounds lurking in my VCV Synthi!

To achieve this, a fairly high tuned Oscillator 2 goes into the filter with resonance just above the self oscillation threshold, its cutoff frequency is modulated by Oscillator 3, which is in turn frequency modulated by a low tuned Oscillator 1 which gives it a bit of a sample and hold quality. Actually almost everything is modulating something and you can see me trying out different combinations to get all kinds of talking drums, throaty vocal like sounds, an unexpected horn solo, bubbly blips and bloops, drippy farts and then some :slight_smile:

The patch can be downloaded here:

https://patchstorage.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/EMS-VCS3-GUI-Tabla.vcv

Enjoy!

That looks gorgeous though. Love that style.