Tape Recorder - now with Tape Inspector as an expander

Do you mean Frippertronics? This is not possible with Tape Recoder because it requires one tape to travel from one tape machine to the other tape machine.

frippertronics

Not necessarily Frippertronics but varispeeding two tape recorders, is that possible? I know you did two recorders running each other’s speed-‘modulated tape speed’ I have tried Frippertronics using 2 Tape recorders but not too sure whether I got the desired Frippyness! The delay video sounds great, let me know when you do that one.

Why not allow the module to be its own expander and have a distance control?

Hello Eric, so how would the distance control work, I think there is a farawayizer or summat in the library. Any patch/module ideas be much appreciated. See below for the ‘Distance’ module, any of yours be suitable?

VCV Library - Rackwindows Distance (vcvrack.com)

What about an expander that allows you to connect two tape recorders with some controls like loop length, sound change, ping pong settings and so on with some nice tape loop graphics on the UI?

Hello Jue-here is the current development proposal for this module:

Slider or Knob on a Mixer Channel? - Development - VCV Community (vcvrack.com)

Hi,

I just called it “distance” since we are emulating the distance between two tape recorders. Under the hood, it would just be changing the delay length

1 Like

Also it requires a Revox R-R, yes?

Better two PR99

Using cassette tapes it would look like this:

1 Like

Here’s how to make tape delay:

I hope it helps :notes:

1 Like

It certainly looks like it will, so instead of midi can you run it with a clock? ;> I have Midi keyboard but limited space to use it all the time.

It looks marvellous even better when you get your sliders put on your control module. How’s that going on?

Thanks, much appreciated

Not necessarily I have a Vst that emulates the Revox and the effect of Frippertronics -the ELOTTRONIX XL, but not sure it would work in Host.

Actually Tape Recorder can’t be synced to a clock but it has a tempo out and therefore it can be used as a master clock.

I think having a separate slider module makes it more flexible for multy purpose use. But I didn’t nail it down yet.

I’m sure you will ‘nail it down’, the slider is the way to go! So next silly question, how do I go about using it as a master clock?

That’s pretty easy:

Connect the ‘tempo’ output from the Tape Recorder to the ‘clock’ input an the sequencer of your choice and hit ‘play’ on the Tape Recorder.

Thanks, didn’t think it would be too hard but best to check. Ok let’s do this as Phil Oakey once said on ‘Being Boiled’.

Not sure the sequencers are doing anything, would it be better plugging other modules [drums/oscillators] into the V/Oct sockets on the sequencers?

Here’s an expanded patch on your Frippertronics and delay set up:

tape-delay-and-frippertronics-with-Ahornberg-Tape-Recorder-my modulations.vcv (26.8 KB)

@ady34 A short update to the ‘Tape Recoder Mixer’ module. Here is a Stoermelder strip that shows what the mixer module is supposed to to:

tape recoder mixer.vcvss (19.5 KB)

Thank you for letting me see your ‘alchemical’ thought processes. Much appreciated.

With version 2.1.4 Tape Recoder has linear interpolation on playback and therefore much less noticeable aliasing artefacts on audio.

4 Likes