Tape loop kind of sound?

I knew this. Of course, Nysthi are excellent.

There is a saying in Finnish: “Kun toiselle kumartaa, niin toiselle pyllistää” --> roughly translates to “If you bow to one, then You are showing your butt to another”, meaning = favouring one insults another. Perhaps that could be title of my next tune?

4 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

also available, in much more compact form, in southpole parasites: Migrate to Rack v1.0 · Issue #36 · gbrandt1/southpole-vcvrack · GitHub

2 Likes

airwindows has many high quality plugins. unfortunately for vcv users, they don’t come with a gui, but use the native gui of the host, which vcv host does not offer. so a host plugin such as blue cat’s patchwork is needed.

1 Like

Can’t we use them in VCV through cv control?

i just tested it, and indeed you can. but you can’t read the values. you’d need another module for that. still cool that it is usable.

1 Like

Try CLPR from Bogaudio. Set the treshold fairly low so after looping for some time the signal is getting limited and the harmonics are added. Sounds great to me. Hope You will try it and like it!

3 Likes

Jira Jira Echo by NYSTHI Dust and Crackle modules by Michael Hetrick Sangster by Lindenberg Research

2 Likes

So many good suggestions. Will try to combine them all to a patch, & share it via patch storage. As mentioned, the quality of the effect differs depending on which source is used.

3 Likes

What if the Binson sounds even more delicious through ToTape5, though?

:yum:

1 Like

Nils Frahm removes the tape delay cover and shakes the mechanism. I think something like this can never sound so good in the digital world.

1 Like

Here is a collection of ideas that have been presented in this thread. As I wrote in Patchstorage, I am not that familiar with all modules suggested, but try them out. I think all of these suggestions give some sort of tape:ish sound. I used a simple riff + Basal as sound for all. Things can change a lot by using other sound sources. Only free modules + a short note from me by all effects. In the mixer you have the original / pure sound and after that in their own channels each effect. Also, by adding more FX (reverd / delay) to the mixer, one can really go nuts with these.

Try em out! :skull:

4 Likes

I must say, I’ve been playing with ToTape5 in Host all week. FWIW, using it feels much more straightforward than it looks despite the lack of UI. It’s helpful to have access to all the parameters for learning the plugin. But once you get the hang of it, it’s often enough to tweak 1-2 parameters, if any—ToTape5’s default settings are an outstanding go-to.

Also, after toying with the now free Kushview Element to host ToTape inside of VCV Host, I’m finding it more practical to just go for ToTape in Host. Putting ToTape inside of a host makes it less efficient. YMMV, but I also find it more convenient to control the parameters I need to through CV from the Rack window itself (vs having to go to the separate plugin window)…

1 Like

I’ve achieved a tape loop distortion type of effect doing the following:

Put your audio through fundamental delay. Set Mix to 100% wet, no feedback, and decrease the delay time quite a bit.

Modulate the delay time with a mix of white noise and either an LFO or something like Caudal or Squinky LFN. The white noise gives it some grit, and the LFO/LFN causes some wobbly pitch shifting. This CV will need to be attenuated quite a bit, although I find it doesn’t need to be attenuated as much if you lower the delay time on fundamental delay.

Here’s a short example with plenty of this effect on it: https://soundcloud.com/rule-110/vhs-title

10 Likes

Here i put some ideas into practice.

1 Like

Cassette by Wavesfactory is a VST I use exclusively for tape style effects.

They also have a free plugin specifically for stop start tape sounds :slight_smile:

It’s propably fun to play with it in Host !

https://www.wavesfactory.com/product/cassette-transport/

1 Like

tape distortion.vcvss (4.6 KB)

Here’s a module strip for stoermelder STRIP. Overall distortion can be adjusted with VCA-1, and you can put stereo audio through the delay pair.

1 Like

Nice use of delays, this sounds pretty convincing! Thank your for sharing it!

Do you use it live, or in the mixing stage?