Substation Open Source Release

So many people want this shit for free. this is a no-brainer plugin. very well developed documented, very unique and sounds really dope!

very nice of you to open source this!!

1 Like

I really appreciate releasing it as open source, and i ve bought the plugin because i understand that you want to make some money, developping is time consuming (i don’t develop myself except for my admin day job)

thanks

2 Likes

My deepest gratitude for releasing these as opensource. They will surely be valuable to many, as sound making tools or educational/inspirational source code to study.

Don’t heed the trolls, why anyone would complain about what appears an altruistic intent is way beyond me…

4 Likes

To be fair I also want things for free but I can’t imagine sending someone mean emails when they open up a closed source project, even if I’d paid for it. That seems like really aberrant behaviour.

4 Likes

I could maybe understand someone being pissed off if it was a plugin you had just bought that you thought you’d be able to sell on like Omnisphere if you’d dropped four hundred dollars on it a week before, but we’re talking about a ten buck set of VCV modules released over a year ago. Does not compute and either way there’s no need to be horrible about it.

9 Likes

Releasing something of the caliber of Substation as open source, after one year, is a great gesture and advances learning, brings so much good in the long run, and so forth, that I just wish to tip my hat and thank you.

Please don’t let the negative comments prevent you from doing something like this in the future if you get the feeling it’s a nice thing to do, and serves a good purpose.

For the record, I bought a license for the premium version of Substation in December. I commend your decision and wish you all the best.

7 Likes

Hmm, looking at the code I have a question on the included slime4rack code dependency.

The files in this dependency have a completely different/custom license attached, saying may not be distributed independently.

This is not compatible with the BSD-3-Clause license and would make this entire project “source available” and not open source.

Do you intend to re-license these files in line with the rest of the project? (the files have 2021 year stamp, so maybe an oversight?)

cheers

Yes, that is an oversight. I meant to relicense slime4rack under BSD as well, but apparently never actually pushed that commit :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing it out! I’ll get a fix out soon

2 Likes

No prob! Glad this will be taken care of and is a non-issue :slight_smile: