structure a patch automatically

Hello. I searched the web and this forum and youtube, but can’t find a good result. As an example what i want is to play a closed hi-hat for 36 bars and then replace it with an open hi-hat. I can do that as a loop with the seqeuntial switch module from the fundamentals, but i can’t do it only once. I want to slowly build up a growing batch. What module or appraoch am i looking for? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Entrian sequencers can do that.

with some planning any gate/trigger sequencer with a slow clock (maybe each bar/1 hit or slower - each 4 bars or 8 bars or …) can start/stop ( mute/unmute) different voices/tracks

but the Entrian sequencers are more DAW like for sequencing.

1 Like

Using a slowly rising CV (envelope) to a comparator, then to the trig input of a switch could do the trick, the hard part (lots of trial and error) would be to set the right slope for the CV in order to pass the threshold at the right time.

1 Like

Thanks to all for the answers. I got more than enough info what to look for. If someone knows of a short and very easy demonstration patch of such, it would help me. To me all this is quite difficult. The usual youtube how-tos help a lot though (Omri Cohen, modulra curiosity). But, as said, i am already fine at least knowing what i am looking for. Thanks again.

1 Like

Also, if you use an LFO or retriggering envelope and don’t want the switch do be triggered multiple times, you can run the inverse of the comparator out back into it’s value input. I’ll try to setup a quick patch tomorrow for you to see.

1 Like

As are the Squinky Labs ones, which are free.

1 Like

Maybe run the gate that switches the hats into a Set/Reset flip-flop. You can hit the set over and over without changing the outputs. Note that a toggle type flip-flop won’t work for this.

1 Like

Again thanks a lot to all who answered. I have to admit that until now i have still hard times to implement that, but my main question was and is which approaches i am looking for at all. I have lots of good ideas now. I started with a comparator yesterday, didn’t get it sorted, but had some other fun with it (as usually through one of the Omar Cohen videos). - Just for the fun of it, this is what i ended with (yeah, pretty basic) https://notabug.org/n4dir/vcvrack-patches/src/master/peaceful.vcv

1 Like

Here is a very short sample patch to explain my idea:

From left to right, a slow saw is passed through an inverter, then that signal goes to a VCA, closed. The inverted signal (0 due to the VCA) is summed with the normal signal, then sent into a comparator. The output of the comparator passes to the clock of a sample&hold that has only an offset as input. The output of the sample&hold opens the VCA and changes the step of the switch, which chooses between two destinations (closed and open hi-hats) for some triggers (here a square LFO).

The summing of the saw with the inverted saw permits to cancel it, which allows the comparator to not be triggered anymore.

The sample&hold freezes the short gate of the comparator.

1 Like

Wow. Thanks a ton. I just decided to give up on that for now, and here is a good explanation right in front of me. Thanks also for explaining it in this thread in detail.

1 Like