stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

Yes. I designed it as expander as it works as storage unit for mappings of unlimited modules which may be reused later. You can store in MEM one mapping for each module-slug and apply the mapping on MIDI-CAT for any instance of the same model.
The workflow isn’t that great right now, I need to think about this more.

2 Likes

Short description how it works:

• Do your mapping of a module in MIDI-CAT how you like it.
  • Place MEM right of MIDI-CAT.
  • In the context menu of MEM you find an option „Store mapping“, in the submenu you find all module-slugs which are currently mapped in MIDI-CAT. If you mapped only one module in MIDI-CAT there will be only one item.
  • After you store the mapping it is listed under „Available mappings“.
  • If you like you can repeat this process and create a mapping for another module-slug.
  • When you press the button on the panel the cursor changes to a crosshair and you can point to a module. If MEM contains a mapping for its module-slug it will be loaded into MIDI-CAT.
5 Likes

Brilliant Ben, you are a hero!

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Is there / could there be a way for 8Face to treat a module and its expanders as one module and therefore be able to control both?

If that is not possible, might it be possible to get 8FACE to ignore an expander it is placed next to (via say an “ignore expander modules” menu setting), such that it controls the main module on the other side of the expander?

Scenario is: a main module which has expanders on each side, and wanting to be able to control the main module in the middle with 8FACE / 8FACEx2 - or even better control the main module and both expanders with one 8FACE.

Given that strip can access and save the settings of modules it is not placed directly next to, I’m wondering if there is a way for 8FACE to do the same?

2 Likes

Hi again Ben

So, I’m kind of hesitating to write yet again, because I don’t want you to get the feeling of us making too many demands on you. So this is just to ask “are you even interested in hearing about this?” (or if some other developer listening in is).

Thing is, for quite some time now I’ve had a pretty clear idea and picture in my head, of what the Rack module browser really should be in my mind, a real power-browser, but realistically it’s not going to be me making it, that’s for someone like you, or someone else. But… I’m hesitating to just write it here, because it’s going to be a long write-up, with lots of details for the picture and the idea to be clear, and it’s going to be a lot of work implementing it. But I think it could be “some next level shit” and I would personally love to have it.

So Ben, just tell me “not interested”, or if you are curious, whether you would like me to write it up in this thread (probably not), or in a seperate posting for you (or others) to take a look at.

No pressure, totally understood, and all that…

1 Like

I think it would be handy to be able to randomize a single parameter this way. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much for MB. I had stopped using vcvrack for months because of how difficult it had been to find modules at 4k. MB makes it pleasant to use again, thanks!

2 Likes

Added :+1:

1 Like

My problem here is: I don’t want to develop something that is unsure to work in Rack v2.
As some of you may have noticed, my module replaces the existing module browser completely to achieve the desired „resizable preview feature“. It is absolutely no problem to implement a new custom browser. But I won’t do it if it has no future.

Besides my worries I think it is a perfectly good idea to start such a discussion for a „better“ module browser in a separate thread!
And maybe such thing will even happen some time…

2 Likes

Hm, I guess your question is motivated by your MixMaster modules. The thing is, expanders are in no way any special modules, they are just modules like any module and 8FACE can’t identify an „expander“.
Maybe I can find a way to achieve something similar. I’ll think about it.

1 Like

Thanks Ben,

Expander modules should be tagged “Expander” ind the library - is that any good for identifying them?

Another idea would be an option like you have on transit or strip which allow you to control all modules to one side until there is a gap maybe?

Yes, I’m thinking in that direction. There will be a “8FACE mk2” in the future which will have a better internal design and work much like TRANSIT.

3 Likes

Actually no, something new… :wink:

A technical question: the fade function in TRANSIT - does that rely on Midi mapping? Might it be possible to have a similar fade function on a module like 8FACE which fades between presets/module states without the midi mapping?

Yes, but it has nothing to do with “MIDI”, technically speaking, it is just parameter mapping. It was only used in MIDI-MAP first.

No. That’s what I’ve written on the same request some weeks ago:

8FACE is basically a preset switcher. As every developer defines by himself how a preset for a module is structured and which data is contained I can’t look inside it. Just imagine, how should a transition of a sampler module work, when the module only stores the filename inside the preset?
However, it is possible smoothly change all the parameters of a module. It is done by “Morph” of 23volts and soon will be available in TRANSIT similar to 8FACE.

1 Like

I see - thanks for clarifying :+1:

:open_mouth:

1 Like

I’m spending not that much time on this but I added the ability to MB to change the preview size while the module browser is open. It’s not perfect but works quite nice :yum:

12 Likes

Ok, I should really stop lying about these things…

13 Likes

You’re my favorite

2 Likes

Faves + thumbnails is fantastic

I was not a fan of the text-only browser, but usable faves was definitely something I needed

1 Like