stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

8Face “not-so-random” slot mode suggestion: Right now in random mode 8face might just stay on the same slot twice or even longer, which doesn’t sound that good in some cases, the way i use it anyways. Could there be another random mode in which every slot triggers only ONCE and never repeats unless the module is out of slots to choose from? There’s probably a proper name for such a rule, but i don’ know it yet…

2 Likes

My Entrian Sequencers have this feature, calling it “random but fair”, with the alternative being called “truly random”.

I struggled to come up with a better name for it, and couldn’t. For the C++ programmers among us, it’s called std::shuffle(). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would be actually great to maybe have a module which ensures that an output cv value is never repeated twice in a row, with the input which could be fed with s&h, or simply and S&H module which does that? But most of all i still would love that feature in 8face of course)

2 Likes

I did this by flip/flopping between 2 quantisers, with a different set of notes selected.

3 Likes

MIDI-CAT treats computer keyboard as a midi keyboard, so some keys are ignored, which doesn’t make much sense i think, wouldn’t it be better to be able to use every single key?

Oh, and ‘c’ key somehow doesn’t really work after being mapped, but i guess i should report it as a bug instead…

General reminders just in case:

How to report bugs for Rack plugins: VCV - Support

Anyone who needs help with Github (or is familiar with it and has specific tips to share with us), please feel free to post here: For those who are new to Github

The keys map onto a piano style keyboard - white keys and black keys;

1 Like

You bastard! I’ve tried everything to get it running on my PC. I’m not technically retarded either. I just can’t run it. Every day some punter tells me how great it is and how wonderful their life is now. I just can’t run the thing.

Congratulations btw.

I know, and that’s the problem: i want to use computer keyboard to mute/solo mixer channels for example - A, F, K etc is not possible to use, which makes no sense…the only reason to have it the way it is now is if somebody using keyboard to enter notes, which i suspect not the most common way, i mean, it’s a modular synth…

see issue on github

1 Like

If you need to, there are modules that let you map external devices to specific keys on the keyboard

MIDI-CAT + MIDI-CAT MEM is great, thank you.

I’d like to be able to switch mapped modules without using the mouse. Would it be possible to have an additional button on MEM that when pressed scans through modules (from left to right, top to bottom, starting at currently mapped module or top left if no mapped module) and as soon as it finds one it has mappings for, switches to it?

Additional thought: Or even four buttons, for nearest mappable module to the left, right, above and below current module.

1 Like

Like what? I don’t see any other modules for mapping computer keyboard in the library…Besides, i’m happy with midi-cat, just want to be able to use ALL the keys, should be pretty straight forward…

Now i understand: the module relies on some sort of ‘keyboard midi driver’…i hope the vcv developer can be flexible and get rid of the midi part…

5 Likes

Here, some ideas revolving around STRIP expanders:

STRIP-LIST

A list of buttons (similar to CV-MAP’s ui), that can be used as short-cuts to presets. Basically 8FACE for STRIP :smiley: but with buttons that have text.

It would add a button to any preset you open or save in the expanded STRIP. Users could load these pre-set presets and delete buttons they don’t need. (rename is not so necessary, the strip’s filename would do it).

This could be nice for an easier transition between strips in a live situation and for tutorial kind of things that show different ways to go about something with sets of modules inside one patch.

STRIP IO expander

This one is a bit more confusing and dirty but I thought I’d still share.

A series of (in, out) and (out, in) port pairs, that are treated special by the STRIP. The first one in each would be for cables coming into the strip from the rest of the patch (these would be left as they are on strip loads), while the second port in each would hold whatever is connected to it from the strip’s modules, so it would get patched by STRIP on load.

This would allow for swapping strips without having to reconnect stuff with the rest of the patch, for example having different voice strips that all have the same pattern of inputs and outputs (eg. [v/oct, gate, vel] coming in, [left, right] audio going out etc.). Being able to name these pairs would be helpful on the “remember what this strip does?” front.

Sorry if any of this has been discussed.

2 Likes

Oh yes, i use this one too, but i wouldn’t use it to map 16 computer keys to mixer mute and solo functions, it’s more for global controls…besides, i like that i can map directly to the buttons with midi-cat, can’t do that with stroke.

Such trigger mode has been added to TRANSIT and 8FACE.

To be honest, a patch or a video about it would be really helpful. Maybe take a look at my X4 module which acts as some sort of mapping multiplier. Actually, I developed it for using MIDI-mapping and CV-mapping simultaneously, so maybe it can help, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

This has been added to MIDI-CAT and MEM :slight_smile:

1 Like