stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

Given the picture that accompanied your comment, it was pretty clearly a jest.

1 Like

Well, it was my first interaction with @nnbveh and we have no context for one another. The risk of making someone feel unwelcome was really not worth the reward of that (or any) joke. At the very least, I should have put an emoji on it.

2 Likes

Fair enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

MIDI-CAT and 8FACE work together when targeting the same module just fine, meaning that i can control parameters from external midi controller, and then save it all as a preset in 8FACE. But this doesn’t work with TRANSIT module. Is it because 8FACE is extender kind of module and TRANSIT is not or something? Would be great if TRANSIT would work the same way as 8FACE…

It makes sense for MIDI-CAT and 8FACE working together as you can switch mappings of your MIDI controller. I don’t see any meaningful use-case for TRANSIT. Can you explain what you are trying to achieve?

I have a 16n faderbank midi controller mapped to the ‘unless towers’ module, which is a virtual faderbank. Output of Towers goes to CV-MAP and split modules, so i can have two ways of controlling my patches, by cv directly or by direct mapping. What i achieve by this is that 1 i have a physical controller permanently set up and ready to be used in my template, and 2 i can store the presets of Towers(effectively saving those mapped parameters as well) all in one place, and switch between them any moment for composition/performance needs. MIDI-CAT of course set-up with takeover mode. SO basically i am able to store the presets of my physical midi controller, kind of, and go back to them any time. The only thing is missing here is the smooth transition between the Tower presets, which i can live without, but in some patches and makes a lot of sense and would make things sound much nicer…

I hope i am more or less clear…

I suspect it could be useful for people who use other controllers/modules as well, although i’m not aware of any other modules which can act as a “bank” of values, would be very interested actually.

p.s. the picture is not of my set up template, but just for reference, in case you haven’t seen the Towers module

1 Like

8Face “not-so-random” slot mode suggestion: Right now in random mode 8face might just stay on the same slot twice or even longer, which doesn’t sound that good in some cases, the way i use it anyways. Could there be another random mode in which every slot triggers only ONCE and never repeats unless the module is out of slots to choose from? There’s probably a proper name for such a rule, but i don’ know it yet…

2 Likes

My Entrian Sequencers have this feature, calling it “random but fair”, with the alternative being called “truly random”.

I struggled to come up with a better name for it, and couldn’t. For the C++ programmers among us, it’s called std::shuffle(). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would be actually great to maybe have a module which ensures that an output cv value is never repeated twice in a row, with the input which could be fed with s&h, or simply and S&H module which does that? But most of all i still would love that feature in 8face of course)

2 Likes

I did this by flip/flopping between 2 quantisers, with a different set of notes selected.

3 Likes

MIDI-CAT treats computer keyboard as a midi keyboard, so some keys are ignored, which doesn’t make much sense i think, wouldn’t it be better to be able to use every single key?

Oh, and ‘c’ key somehow doesn’t really work after being mapped, but i guess i should report it as a bug instead…

General reminders just in case:

How to report bugs for Rack plugins: VCV - Support

Anyone who needs help with Github (or is familiar with it and has specific tips to share with us), please feel free to post here: For those who are new to Github

The keys map onto a piano style keyboard - white keys and black keys;

1 Like

You bastard! I’ve tried everything to get it running on my PC. I’m not technically retarded either. I just can’t run it. Every day some punter tells me how great it is and how wonderful their life is now. I just can’t run the thing.

Congratulations btw.

I know, and that’s the problem: i want to use computer keyboard to mute/solo mixer channels for example - A, F, K etc is not possible to use, which makes no sense…the only reason to have it the way it is now is if somebody using keyboard to enter notes, which i suspect not the most common way, i mean, it’s a modular synth…

see issue on github

1 Like

If you need to, there are modules that let you map external devices to specific keys on the keyboard

MIDI-CAT + MIDI-CAT MEM is great, thank you.

I’d like to be able to switch mapped modules without using the mouse. Would it be possible to have an additional button on MEM that when pressed scans through modules (from left to right, top to bottom, starting at currently mapped module or top left if no mapped module) and as soon as it finds one it has mappings for, switches to it?

Additional thought: Or even four buttons, for nearest mappable module to the left, right, above and below current module.

1 Like

Like what? I don’t see any other modules for mapping computer keyboard in the library…Besides, i’m happy with midi-cat, just want to be able to use ALL the keys, should be pretty straight forward…

Now i understand: the module relies on some sort of ‘keyboard midi driver’…i hope the vcv developer can be flexible and get rid of the midi part…