stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

I updated it to skip those files and to provide a bit more silly stats, like how many meters of cables you’ve used in your patches (just an approximation ofc).

2 Likes

I get you are asking anyone other than me :smiley: but I think seeing you own data summarized is generally an interesting thing to people.

Of course if you use MB long enough, you’ll gonna get a meaningful “most used” list, but this would make it so from the beginning. And once you scan the patches, you could extract some more statistic.

I’d propose this as a separate module idea, but at the same time I feel like a Stats page would be a good fit to put inside the module browser as well.

1 Like

my 2 cents: stats can be really interesting (at least for some of us) but need to be flexible in their implementation, which may require some research among users. In other words “the usage of a module” means different things to different users:

• time spent in VCV on a patch including the module
  • number of patches in /patches/ that include the module
  • number of times the module is loaded from the module browser into a patch
  • number of times a patch is loaded that includes the module
  • the module being included in a given patch but not being connected
  • the module being included in a given patch but being disabled

Flexibility about paths may be required too - some users organize their patches out of the default /patches/ directory.

1 more cent: I’d welcome any stats that would help establishing a correlation between the number of available modulation sources and the number of available inputs (or other interesting “ratios”). Example: “oh look, according to stats my average patch has 10 available inputs, but only 3 modulation sources…I should try using more LFOs/envelopes/random generators/etc”).

A different “ratio”: how many times I’m choosing a kind of module vs. how many modules of the same kind are available. Example: given the number of alternatives, including VCV LFO-1 in all your patches is a bolder choice than always including VCV MIDI-CC.

I’d propose this as a separate module idea, but at the same time I feel like a Stats page would be a good fit to put inside the module browser as well.

I also don’t know about this - moderators please feel free to move my reply to a new “Stats” thread if you create one.

(EDIT: this is now a Wiki-style collaboratively-editable list of “smart combinations” of Stoermelder modules with basic written instructions**

Controllers: MIDI-STEP + PILE

Handling a list of presets for a given module: STRIP + 8FACE

1. use Strip to save a small strip of Percussive Vibration + 8Face
  2. (for existing patches) go through the patches where you’re using Percussive Vibration, load Strip, right-click Percussive Vibration, copy the current preset, paste it over the Percussive Vibration in your strip, save it as an 8Face preset. Then save the new version of the strip
  3. any time you want to use Percussive Vibration load its strip. You get all the presets ready to use - with advantages compared to how presets are natively handled by VCV

(in my original post I was saying that I’m relatively new to Stoermelder modules and I was looking for a comprehensive, written list of “smart combinations” of Stoermelder modules. I also included the Strip + 8 Face combination, which was probably already known. Reminder: you can check history/edits of posts and comments).

2 Likes

There might be a more comprehensive list around but @VCVRackIdeas youtube channel has some really good videos about using them in combination.

1 Like

Hey thanks, but no. Another user recently expressed very well why video don’t work for everybody. I know there’s a million of Youtube channels about everything.

I’m looking for a written list. If it doesn’t exist, that’s fine.

1 Like

No, there is no written list I know of. But I think it is a good idea to start something like this :smiley:

2 Likes

Amazing how something as simple as scaling the modules in the browser, a functionality which certainly should be in the software by default, becomes such a source of excitement for so many people…The developer certainly has his own ‘vision’ of such a things though…this and some more, like that crazy load of GPU the rack does…

1 Like

The developer certainly has his own ‘vision’ of such a things though

I think he’s just got an absolutely insane to-do list of things necessary for V2 and is having to ruthlessly prioritize. I strongly suspect that we’ll get a revised official module browser by (or before) V3. In the meantime, it’s great that the Rack API is wide open to modules so that @stoermelder’s work is possible!

Agree that the MB module is pure gold :slight_smile:

10 Likes

It does not do “a crazy load of gpu”. It uses more than is strictly necessary, but I don’t think the term “crazy” is a all justified.

3 Likes

In STRIP, would it be possible to select a group of parameters for randomization on a module?

I was playing out with Curve Sequencer and wanted to randomize all the Durations and all the Levels, but had to pick them to the list one by one. Just popped into my mind that with larger Curve Sequencers that functionality would be a godsend.

Yes it does, at least in my case(macbook pro 16). It eats through the battery in no time, like literary in 15-30minutes all the juice is gone, and it mostly the gpu…And there’s no way to justify that, all the modules graphics are mostly static…There’s an alternative which we’re not supposed to name :wink: which uses MUCH less cpu and gpu while sounding the same to my ear, so i suspect things could be done to improve the situation, but from the reactions of the developer to any criticism i doubt this aspect of VCV will change…its a pity, i’d love to use my laptop to work on patched while unplugged, but i just can’t afford it…

1 Like

I think it will change

2 Likes

Hi i have an quality of life feature request for MB. is it possible to sample and hold the mouse position on initial browser open and create the module at the sampled position instead of the position the mouse is at when clicked in the browser? (not any kind of coder :stuck_out_tongue: )

You know that when you click and hold a module in the MB you can just drag it to where you want it.

3 Likes

I have an idea for a module which might or might not be useful for someone else, but i think it would def. make things more interesting:

Faderfox has the controller which can display names and values of the controls. It would be amazing have something similar in rack in the form of a module which shows the names of the parameters of any module mapped to the particular physical controls. I guess it could be an expander to midi-cat, or a standalone thing or something. The purpose would be to create a sets of control mappings which are easy readable in live situation, would be nice to have pages or banks or something similar. So when you switch from patch to patch you always have a reference of what exactly you can play with, and when you start a new patch, to have a quick way to start adding hands-on controls without getting lost…

You know what dude i did not :slight_smile: definitely glad i asked :stuck_out_tongue: tnx :+1: hehe

1 Like

This is definitely a valid request and there are a couple of controllers which would benefit from such a thing. Two problems here:
First, this needs MIDI SysEx which is not available in Rack v1 but will be in Rack v2.
Second, as it needs MIDI SysEx it also needs a specific implementation for every controller‘s protocol.

I guess someday a module for that purpose will be available, I‘m actually thinking about an expander for MIDI-CAT for quite some time. We’ll see.

3 Likes

So you mean the names would be ‘broadcasted’ by SysEx? That actually would be amazing, i’m thinking of building a little device using some development board so i could plug my newly obtained x-touch mini and first, send midi by bluetooth LE(cables are so 20th century…), and second, to have a little OLED display showing the labels and the values…If i could get those from VCV it would be freaking fantastic!!

And since i’ve mentioned x-touch mini…:

I’m setting it up in my template right now, and realized there’s a gap in communication:

If i want to use midi-cat in this situation i have to go through IAC bus(virtual midi), would be great if it wasn’t necessary…