Stoermelder for Rack 2?

Believe me, I can be patient, and I will keep using Rack 1.1.6 for projects expressly because of @stoermelder modules. I’ll really miss Blamsoft as well, & hope they take the time to update to Rack2.

The fact is, Stoermelder stuff - 8Face Mk2 specifically - completely inspired a new way to compose music for me.

Being able to snapshot a whole set of modules, including quantizers & sequencers means that it’s easy to do what’s actually the hardest part of working with a modular synth - changing. With a hardware modular, you pretty much have to record, repatch, record, and then edit a performance together. You can’t make a unified performance where you change things in the moment.

Paradoxically being able to do that combines two things: spontaneity and pre-planning. And because of how 8face works, you can also swap in a whole new ‘scene’ and then tweak and mutate it live, without losing your original work. And save the transformed scene to a new slot, so that the next performance can improve by using some of the moments of improvisation from the last.

4 Likes

I lied, I’m very impatient. :grin:

4 Likes

You lasted a whole 3 minutes! :rofl:

4 Likes

Is Stoermelder no longer active? Did I miss something?

Is Ben ok?

1 Like

In the absense of any word I have to assume @stoermelder is fine. If you’re maintaining a complex open source Rack plugin, sometimes real life has to take precedence.

I know @Steve_Russell forked Stoermelder PackOne and got it building for Rack2. But it’s not fully functional.

2 Likes

This makes so much sense. If I understand you correctly, you use 8 face as a way to save “sketches” of a patch, or module settings. And then once you have a couple, switch between them to see what works best? I’ve got to try that. BTW, I really enjoy your compositions.

Think of it like presets - but presets for groups of modules, not just one. Sequencers, quantisers, voices etc. So when you change presets, the sequence, scale, timbre of the voice etc can all change at the same time. You can then jam on a preset and either save it as a new preset if you like the results or return to the original preset to get back to how it sounded originally

You can then sequence those preset changes… it’s very powerful and versatile. You can build entire arrangements this way and then re-arrange by just editing the one simple sequence controlling the order the presets play in.

3 Likes

I just saw Omri’s new video with Bitwig and VCV VST and in his library, oh yes…Stoermelder!! That just made my day.

Seems @stoermelder is working hard behind the scenes to port everything properly.

This community is the best.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I don’t want to spoil the excitement, but that is probably just an older beta version from the Github PR that is waiting for follow-up.

The older beta version seems to works “fine” in VCV Rack 2 release, i have it here, i can load all modules, no crash.

However, there is a very big reason we have not heard from Ben yet, as he clearly stated that he wanted to wait until VCV 2 was done. The Stoermelder plugin was based on a lot of tricks and “exploits” if i may call it that, to do super cool stuff that wasn’t available in VCV 1.

But a lot of those tricks, will need re-evaluation. As some newly introduced features of VCV 2 (as module copy, group etc).
Will not work with some of the modules of Stoermelder (yet).

To put it simple, we will have to wait and for Ben, until he responds.
And mostly important, i hope he is well!!

7 Likes

Exactly right. Some deep hacks were involved in earlier releases. And likewise, let’s hope Ben is doing well.

Cheers.

1 Like

That’s so cool. I’ve always just done a “save as”. But this will definitely open a lot of possibilities.

Ben has made, what looks like for now, an initial commit wip v2 - api fixes and more · stoermelder/vcvrack-packone@05de804 · GitHub that has a fix for 8FaceMk2, which I don’t use so I never picked up on the need for that change.

If you combine his commit with the rest of my PR, you’ll have, for the time being, a more complete build.

Ben did check in some changes to his v2-dev branch, and now 8FACE WORKS!

Huzzah.

There’s a minor API problem that I fixed in my fork, and I’ve submitted a pull request.

@Steve_Russell you might look at what’s on his v2-dev branch now. I didn’t look closely at your forked repo, but I suspect he’s already merged your pull request.

4 Likes

This is all very encouraging to hear.

3 Likes

can you please share the fork that you made, I really need Strip and 8Face for my live set

1 Like

so many of my patches relied on stoermelder. I hope we get it soon

I hope so, too.

21 Likes