Stochastic Telegraph Announcements

:smiley:

It’s probably not, I don’t know - it’s a cool module anyways, just thought maybe this could help to make it better.

almost every delay line has a good interpolator, right? It’s not very expensive. As has been determined over and over again here.

The difficult thing seems to be to manipulate the playhead directly while keeping a good sound quality.

There is now the first open source plugin that does this, so maybe this could provide the right buffer:

Well that was unwise of me!

It looks like a cubic interpolation. That’s what my old SFZ player does. I know for a while there were people doing “zero order” or “drop sample” interpolation, and everyone agreed that sounds bad. It’s not clear to me how audible the differences are once you are at least at linear interpolation. I’ve always done cubic, but that’s more a habit than anything else. I know some people make some pretty fancy polyphase since interpolators…

Is this (not released yet) what you’re thinking of, @Schabbes?

1 Like

I was hoping it could be done so that the modulation would sound as smooth as using the adjust slider, allowing to scratch the sample, create slowdowns etc.

TIME1 is the first open source plugin that can do this the same way as Gross Beat, MRhythmizer, Time Shaper… in those plugins you can control the buffer very precisely with an MSEG - if this could be done with external modulators in Rack, this could be really powerful.

But I have no idea how to do it… I just have some ideas how you could use it if it would work :slight_smile:

Without trying Time1 yet, have you noticed that there is a speed input that gets added to the speed control? If not, that might open up some possibilities.

Yeah that’s nice, too! Maybe making it follow 1V/Oct might be useful.

It also might be useful to be able to adjust the buffer length in measures of a given BPM to sync it.

Nice module anyways, very cool idea with the multiple heads for 1 buffer!

1 Like

I liked that V/Oct idea so much, it’s coming in 2.0.15 (whenever that happens).

Here’s a demonstration video, I think it opens up some interesting uses. Like a…janky Mellotron whose sound changes as you play it.

By the way, I’m posting irregular progress reports on my modules at my StochasticTelegraphTech YouTube channel, in case you’re interested in following along (or suggesting ideas that escape me).

2 Likes

Nice!

I found that this module does a pretty good job of automating the playhead, too: VCV Library - Biset It's good cholesterol

When in the first mode (phase mode) and automating the phase it seems to be able to handle that pretty well.

In the second mode it actually does exactly what I was looking for - allowing you to completely freely scrub the playhead while still sounding good.

2.0.15 release is out this morning. Here are my release notes:

• Memory gained access to the file system:
    • Memory can now load .WAV files into itself, replacing the entire contents of the Memory and resizing it.
    • Memory can save .WAV files as well.
    • Since file operations can take a widely varying amount of time, Memory sends out a trigger when those operations complete.
    • You can load and save files from the menu, or you can use BASICally to send Tipsy text messages to Memory to tell it to load or save a file.
    • Since surprising things can happen when loading or saving files, instead of silently failing, when you have the LOG output of Memory cabled to a TEXTn input on a TTY module, you can read the log of what happened on the TTY.
    • Videos about these features are here and here.
  • Ruminate now has two new menu options:
    • Fade on Move - affects the behavior when the slider or SET moves the position of the head. If checked (the default), the L&R outputs will be silent until the position stops changing. If not checked, then the playback will continue as it’s being moved. See example video.
    • Use Speed as V/Oct - affects how the SPEED is interpreted. When unchecked (the default), the sum of the SPEED input and control is how many samples the playhead moves forward per sample emitted, so 1 is normal speed, .5 is half-speed. When checked, this sum will be interpreted the way that V/Oct is interpreted in most modules. See example video.
  • When the sliders on Ruminate and Embellish are released, they now resume normal operation more quickly.
  • Put a big “T” behind ports only input or output Tispy text messages. Put a less solid “T” on the BASICally OUTn ports, to suggest that they can emit both Tipsy and regular values.

More details in the Memory docs.

11 Likes

Hello, is there any chance that there will be sync to clock feature? (I’m waiting for it :>)

Can you explain a bit more what you are imagining?

My understanding is that a Clock signal is series of short trigger pulses to the beat. What are you imagining would happen whenever a trigger is seen to the CLOCK input?

Or am I understanding it incorrectly?

Mahlen

@mnienie, is this in line with what your waiting for?

(My first progress report for 2.0.16, including a new module for Memory).

2 Likes

Version 2.0.16 is now available!

• Added Fixation, a new module for playing back audio from Memory. It specializes in rhythmic, small interval playing.
    • Videos featuring Fixation:
    • Documentation here.
  • Memory, when loading a file, now smooths the ending and beginning to ensure there is no sudden “click” when looping from beginning to end (or vice versa).
  • Made the text windows on Fermata, BASICally, and TTY more efficient on the UI thread. This won’t affect the measured performance of these modules, but you may see slightly higher FPS numbers when using these modules.
  • Added string variables and arrays to BASICally:
    • A variable name that ends with a “$” (e.g., a$, foo$, mod_name$) can only hold a string (i.e., a series of printable characters) instead of a number.
    • An array whose name ends in a “$” (e.g., bar$, names$[3]) can only hold an array of strings.
    • These changes are only really useful when using print() to send text messages to other modules. See docs for details.

After working on this, I was hoping to take a breather on VCV modules and do other things for while…but then a really compelling idea came to me, and it’s pretty fun. I’ll make videos on the YouTube channel when I have something to show.

11 Likes

I’m not posting much work these days but I’ve got to say i find this delay/sampler/looper setup to be really interesting.

1 Like

would love to see these modules ported to the 4ms Meta.

Thank you, so would I. I haven’t quite knuckled down and figured out the process to make that happen yet.

1 Like

4ms says this in the thread about the Meta module: