Southpole: Can't add modules to Library

That’s great ! I have removed the links to the old builds I posted above.

1 Like

Hi everyone

I downloaded the 0.5.4 release zip and am using VCV Rack 1.1.6. Am I right in thinking that this release doesn’t work for my version of VCV Rack?

I’m not sure how to compile my own build but if anyone could confirm if the above should work or not it would it would be appreciated. Thank you.

You correctly surmised that only 1.x plugins will work in the current Rack version. Prior versions would need to be updated, or rebuilt.

You can try using netboy’s builds from a few posts up.

Thank you @funkybot, these work perfectly. Sorry I missed the post, massive thank you @netboy3 !

1 Like

From https://library.vcvrack.com/:

Rack v1.x can only load v1.y plugins

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob, but where can I download the actual modules?

As posted above somewhere:

Southpole modules :

Southpole parasites modules :

Download the windows,linux,mac versions from the links.

1 Like

Do the Mac versions still work? I’m on a 2020 iMac running Big Sur. When I open Rack, the security alert pops up and I have to allow access. But they’re not in the library for me. Just curious to try these.

Hi I’m not on a Mac i or otherwise but on Windows they show up in the browser and there is no security alert :

1 Like

I just solved this myself. You can go in to the Settings app and manually allow it even though Apple can’t automatically verify it.

And yes the 1.0 version still works.

I managed to build v2 (Windows) of the main southpole plugins fine based on @Steve_Russell fork’s latest source.

However, I have no idea how to get the parasites version to compile under v2, any ideas or maybe interest to try yourself @netboy3?

The v2 build is posted to the main southpole issues thread… however will only load on a build of Rack at least from today, the posted beta on Rack website’s download page does not load them…

I did a mac build that seems fine. What problem are you encountering?

many errors about ‘blah’ not declared in current context’ etc…

However might be my own stupidity, how exactly did you go about building the parasites branch? Given main plugin was so easy I was hoping this one would be just as, turns out there be some gremlins here…

Pretty much the same…

git clone -b 'v1-parasites' https://github.com/netboy3/southpole-vcvrack-plugins.git

Then update version in plugin.json

Then make clean and make dist

There were some warnings, but ignoring those, it doesn’t crash anything. I haven’t tested to see if it “works”, i.e. does what it’s supposed to do.

aha, thank you sir, I could not find that branch on netboy3s git, must have been blind… Here I go try that and see, than you dear sir!

and yep. that did it! Thanks

1 Like

If you look at Vortico’s Dev blog post where he posted the builds, he said that until the ABI is stable, plug-ins must be built against the Exact version of Rack 2 they are being used with.

In practice this means that if you build Rack 2 from the current source (which has been updated since the beta builds were posted).and you build plugins with your built version of Rack, they will work with your build but NOT with the posted Rack beta.

I discovered this when building MindMeld, impromptu and Geodesics - all ok with my Rack V2 build but none appear in the browser in Vortico’s beta.

1 Like

aha, that might certainly be it! Thanks for the sleuthing! I was out of ideas. So hopefully by launch that issue will be gone…

He says it in the penultimate dev blog post right next to where he posted the beta links iirc

1 Like

I am sometimes a wee bit blind it seems as I actually checked that blog, but did not spot that, so all good, if it goes away by launch

1 Like