Slew Rate Detector?

The solution was allready given above, delay and subtract. This is what I made, with the one module constraint. Looks a bit strange, but maybe somehow you can use it.

2 Likes

Cool! I that that will work. Thanks!! I added a full wave rectifier to keep the output positive.

1 Like

That setup is overly susceptible to noise. You don’t see it with the smoothed RANDOM output. But with something like Caudal you get spikes that I don’t think you want. Adding a low pass filter at the end (or beginning) eliminates those spikes.

Below I have an alternate set of modules, including two from my new Venom plugin that should hit the library any day now. Pre-release binaries are available if you don’t want to wait.

I use the Grande variable sample delay - very convenient. I set the delay to 3 samples to match what you had, but I like the result a bit better with 10. Either way, it is easy to dial in the number of sample delays you want.

My WINCOMP does the A-B subtraction as well as the rectification of the result.

I use the RECURSE to amplify the signal by 1000 (10 x 10 x 10). The original only multiplied by 100, so it required extra gain in the scope. I think you could use the extra gain in your signal. And the amount of gain needed can vary depending on how much variation is in your input. With RECURSE it is really easy to dial in the amplification you want with a combination of setting the number of recursive passes, as well as the scale factor for each pass.

Finally I use the VCF to filter out the spikes.

In the scope I offset the unfiltered yellow trace so you could more easily see the smoothed green trace.

1 Like

That’s a neat solution!! You’re right my patch was noisy when I tried it with Caudal, and your filter corrects it. And with recurse it will be a convenient to adapt the rate of change of the input signal. I look forward to trying your Venom plugin.

One question: What is the VSD module?

Thanks!!

1 Like

VSD = Variable Sample Delay from Grande. David Grande has a fine collection of modules, and I love the name. Most of his modules are very compact, yet very useable - Big things do come in little packages!

2 Likes