Skylights: Truing Machine + Expanders Live Stream replay

So here is the replay from yesterday’s live stream, all about the Turing Machine from Skylights and its expanders -

We’ve gone through all of the features of this version of the Turing Machine, and also looked and used all of its expanders, and we also looked at how to record CV with the Phrase Sequencer and 2 samplers.
It was so much fun, and if I had to name the 2nd patch I would’ve named it “Shponglaise”
3 Likes

From the chat:

Eugene Kuzmitsky: ​No need to keep [Turing Machine] open for days since you can record CV sequences using other modules

Now, could anyone please fill a list of those “other modules” that can record CV sequences?

1. Impromptu’s Big Button Sequencer (@Omri_Cohen suggestion in the video)

EDIT after reaching the end of the video in wich Omri explains how to record VC sequences.

1. Impromptu’s Phrase Sequencer
  2. Sonus Modular’s Campione
  3. Nhisti’s Complex Sampler

Thanks!

BTW, the ‘Length’ range in Skylight’s SK Alan goes from 2 to 16 … One can use Alikins’ Hovered Value to precisely select the desired one.

1 Like

Some interesting bits and pieces extracted from the video and/or the chat (under construction):

The function of the ‘Scale’ knob in the sequencers:

Almanacs​: maybe I missed this, but I thought that “Scale” knob was something like a quantiser. Isn’t it?

Omri: No, the ‘Scale’ knob will set the scale of the random voltage, the range of the random voltage … The maximum range is 0 to +10 volts when it’s unipolar, so if you lower the scale it will not go up to +10 volts, it will go let’s say to +5, or +3 … and don’t forget that each volt is an octave, so if you have 2 volts you have 2 octaves … If you use it for pitch i think 2 or 3 octaves are enough … If you have 10 octaves, if you want, of course you can use it! … But usually we use 2 or 3 octaves, so 2 to 3 volts.

Using Kinks to generate two new sequences:

PHROND​: btw. isn´t Kinks creating the so called 3rd tone ? … 3rd tone is the sound you hear, when 2 tones play. it´s imaginary, but the sum and difference of the original tones… sorry, i´m nerding.

Omri: Well ‘Kinks’ [Audible instruments’ Utilities–>Logic] is receiving both signals from the ‘Turing Machine’ and the expander, from ‘Volts’, and it’s making a logic function. It’s creating a logic function, or processing a logic function, and one it will output the minimum signal, the minimum voltages, and one the maximum, creating two more sequences: one is low (as you can hear the bass), and one is high.

waveforms

BogAudio’s 8LFO or LLFO x n?

Omri: I like the [BogAudio’s] 8LFO because it’s the same modulation source but in different faces.

Xavier BELMONT​: I’m not sure the 8FO to be the best way to have real control of modulation, I’ve used it a lot but now I prefer the [BogAudios’s] LLFO x n, as it allow you to fine tune the freq. of each of them.

Omari: Ah, ok! That’s interesting … But what i like about the [BogAudio’s] 8LFO it’s like waves, you know? … You have one going up, the second one a bit with it, and this is going down … it’s like 8 different waves interacting with one another … but you’re right.

Always tune your Oscillators!

Omri: BTW, i recommend tuning your oscillators, it adds lots of feel to the sound. Because the oscillators in VCV Rack, you load them up, they are tuned to C and that’s it, perfect C … If you tune them, even if you want to use the note C, just tune them with the tuner.

Patman​: what’s the diff between tuning with the pre-calc’d voltage and tuning with a tuner?

Omri: With the tuner you will never… or let’s say never you will hit the pitch exactly. So it will never be tuned to C, because you are not a machine, so it will always be a few cents here or there. And if you have another one it’s tuned to C, and you tune them both with the tuner they will not be exactly the same, there will be this ‘beating’ effect: cancelling and amplifying one another’s frequencies. And again, it will never be the same, it will never be exactly the pitch; unlike a machine, where a C is C, especially in VCV Rack.

Patman​: OH! like humanizing it!

Omari: Yeah, like humanising it, actually … but you’re doing it manually (laughing)

Humanizing ADSRs

Patman​: now if only we could humanize ADSRs a bit more…

PHROND​: …no problem, just let the adsr wobble a bit with s&h

2 Likes