SIM Development thread

OK there they are. Turns out I had already removed them, and they needed to be added - weird, given that I’m running a patch with a COERCE in it right now. Thank you @cosinekitty @soundismovement @k-chaffin and the venerable @CountModula for jumping in to help!!!

4 Likes

Anyway, these modules are still awesome, thank you

1 Like

The slug juggling happened before the initial release so I didn’t bother.

But thanks! for the short & complete manual on how to handle a situation like this in the future.

1 Like

I’m bumping this thread because I’ve just discovered Coerce and its freaking awesome. Its exactly what I’ve been trying to patch up - a customisable quantizer! Thank you @soundismovement !!!

2 Likes

Glad to hear you like it :slight_smile:

There are a few more in the pipeline. Perhaps the autumn weather will entice me to resume programming, allowing me to iron out the bugs so I can finish and publish them.

2 Likes

Same for me. I built like ten different patches trying to achieve what this module was capable of all along :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello! as a graphic designer I really appreciate the visualization used to denote normalling of quant ins.

This might sound silly, and maybe it is, but since the quant input requires a fairy-specific thing compared to what other common quantizer inputs ask for, it might be helpful to provide a module in the plugin dedicated to producing “poly cable scales”? or perhaps call your input something more specific to your plugin? Either might increase how intuitive the plugin feels to people who might not read documentation… idk. ( also I recognize just blindly asking for a module is rediculous )

1 Like

We have so many great modules here that this conversation reminded me what a great simple module SIM Coerce is. I love quantizing a melody to chords, such as with MelodyGen and Slips.

I would love to see more modules along the lines of Coerce.

2 Likes

Check out my Venom v2.6 beta with the new (not yet released) NORSIQ Chord to Scale module. Coerce is fantastic and compact - perfect as long as you are working with octave repeating scales. My new module is for the situation where you want a non-octave repeating scale. So you can play an extended chord to define a scale, and properly quantize notes that lie outside the range of the original chord.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Actually, this caught my eye as a result of your post yesterday.

Is it a conscious design decision not to have a trigger input on Coerce? I’m mostly fine with the continuous quantization but in some cases it’d simplify the patch having a trigger input on the module.

I’m wondering if it’d make sense to add a ‘default’ scale? I.e. just to have some chromatic scale available in case the QUANT cable is not connected.

I was also thinking hard about non-octave based scales and to come up with a third option (beside ‘Restrict’ and Octave fold’). Would it make sense to ask for an ‘Interval based’ calculation? I.e. providing a QUANT with 0.25, 0.50, and 0.55 would internally generate a scale of 0.25, 0.50, 0.55, 0.80, 1.05, 1.10, etc. Is there anybody having a view on this?

1 Like

Thanks. As a dancer, I really appreciate your appreciation.

As for your question: I often use the following module to connect to the quant input: VCV Library - Aaron Static DiatonicCV

Yes. Paradoxically, I wanted Coerce to be agnostic of anything discrete. No triggers and no default scales. That way you can use it as a free quantizer, but also as a versatile bit crusher or odd audio convolution module. I don’t think it’s worth adding a trigger input, since the functionality can already be achieved by adding a sample and hold module. But I am open to be convinced it should have a trigger input.

I guess it does make sense to have a default chromatic scale. All I have to do is step over my contrarian character trait. I think it can be done.

I think it does make some sense. But isn’t @DaveVenom’s module Non-Octave-Repeating Scale Intervallic Quantizer (quite a mouth full) capable of that?

1 Like

NORS_IQ (or NORSIQ) among friends.

Oooh - I don’t know why I never thought to feed audio signals into the NORS_IQ “V/Oct” input. Great fun. It almost makes me want to put an oversample option on the quantizer.

For your Coerce you could add a trigger input, and preserve the existing continuous behavior if the trigger input is unpatched. But you are correct, there are a number of polyphonic sample and holds available that would do the trick without any changes to your module. I chose to add the trigger option to my NORSIQ Chord to Scale module.

1 Like