Rack v1 builds with improvements

This is the thing I dream about

2 Likes

still no windows build?

Well it’s not technically difficult to compile, it just takes time. Unfortunately, while my computer is ready for compiling plugins, I know that for Rack itself, it’s gonna take much longer and I didn’t had time to dig that. Maybe I’m not the only one thinking like that :slight_smile:
But yeah, I would love a windows build too!

Here is the build for Windows if anyone interested: https://yadi.sk/d/CRDOQvBhLedToQ

5 Likes

Thanks a lot, that’s an excellent build and I love the new features, hope they’ll make their way to the final version!

Hi,

so I just stumbled across this thread and was thinking this is would be a perfect test for my conan-cmake based build approach for VCVRack (see also Build VCVRack with Conan and CMake + add CI).

So I merged the extra branch with the work from my branch and let it build on Azure CI server (merged branch is here). Took me 2 minutes. You can find now the Rack-extra build under https://github.com/qno/VCVRack-Release-Demo/releases/tag/Nightly for Windows, Linux and MacOS. Artifacts are called Rack-extra and can be downloaded from this page.

I didn’t test the builds, but it would be nice if someone tries it and can give some feedback if it works. With this I mean, if it is working with regular VCVRack Plugins, as the build process has a complete different approach. I never tested this for MacOS, as I don’t have a Mac.

Have fun!

OK - I tested now the Windows build and it just works out of the box with standard VCV plugins. Just unzip the artifact and click on Rack.exe.
But the online library is disabled, as it seems that the server detects that a development build is running, or something like that.

Thanks for this. Using the Windows build zezic posted. The browser is much faster. I’d love to be able to to use Page Up and Page Down buttons to scroll in the browser if that’d be possible. I’ve got bad wrists and the scroll wheel and scroll bars aren’t as easy as just paging down.

It also seems like the browser caching is per-instance. Would be great if it get written and recalled somewhere until new modules or updates are installed, but that might be considerably more effort.

1 Like

Been using it as my binary since it was released… Great work.

+1 for PgUp PgDn

1 Like

I really like your build, @diimdeep, it has become my main version for VCV Rack. I really wish your features would make their way to the main version. In the meantime, do you intend to continue updating it now that Rack 1.1.6 is (just) out? I’m just wondering.

Thank you and have a great day!

2 Likes

Likewise, it is now my main version too. I really hope the module browser caching appears in the official release, as is I’ll stick with the modified 1.1.5 for now.

1 Like

Hello, I just accidentally discovered that v1 does not implement real-time priority for engine threads on macOS.

I found good implementation for real-time priority for engine threads on macOS. and applied it, here it is (code). Performance improvements are insane in case with my machine.

I was able to reduce block size from 4096 down to 256 or even 64, while maintaining 30-60FPS without any glitches even while simultaneously using other Apps (on Macbook 2013, 2 core, i5). Before that I had to almost always use large block size and lowest FPS possible and anyway receive some glitches.

There is also option to disable ports(lights) for a few more cycles.

Download: macOS build

8 Likes

Thanks again, both implementations are really efficient !

Mac Mojave / i5 /2.7GHz / Mac book pro 2015 here

Wow! You should log a bug or something so that @Vortico remembers to take this fix. I don’t know if he’s doing any fixes on 1.0 right now, but if so you could send a pull request?

AFAIK there is complications in accepting pull requests.

Yes, but this is a special case. can’t hurt to contact him.

Nice find and fix! Wow!

I hope it’s not an issue with windows builds regarding realtime priority? :slight_smile:

It only changes the Mac code path.