ShapeMaster CV output zeroed when stopped ?

I use shapemaster in a setup where sometimes it runs and sometimes not. The problem is that, when you stop it, it continues to send voltage on its CV outputs. It send the value of the node at the start of the track or according to global setting the value at playhead position. I would like it to send nothing or 0 volts when it is stopped. I have checked all the ShapeMaster options, and the doc, and it doesn’t seem the awaited behavior. But maybe I missed something.

If not, do you know of a module that can zeroed 8 CV from a trig. I could use 8 VCA modules, or a mixMaster, but it’s not very elegant. I would like to find a more compact solution if possible.

You’re correct that when stopped, ShapeMaster sends out the voltage of the initial node, and when the playhead is frozen, it sends out the voltage of wherever the playhead is.

If you want it to output 0V when stopped, can you not just have the initial node at 0V and then have the 2nd node vertically up from there wherever you want it? While you can never have a true vertical in ShapeMaster (the playhead needs to know which order to play the nodes in) we recently reduced the minimum horizontal distance between nodes by a factor of 10, so I’m not sure you’d realistically notice that initial jump when starting from 0V to whatever you set for the 2nd node. And if we added an option for SM to output 0V when stopped, you’d get exactly the same kind of jump from 0V to whatever you set your first node to when you started.

What is the context - are you using it for sequencing or modulation or something else?

Mainly Sequence and modulation and also trig for others modules. I try your solution, and for modulation part that do the trick. For “simple” sequence track also. But I have other track when I play with SM-Trigger to invert and reverse sequence, and this become a bit of a head-scratcher. Also a track is “phased”. not easy either. I don’t mind the the jump from zero volt, since it’s what’s happen when ShapeMaster is launch the first time.

Thank anyway for this idea as this partly solves the problem.

Ah yes, I can see the problem in these scenarios. With inversion, a 0V starting point becomes (up to) 10V… I also see the issue with phase. I’ll speak to Marc about it and report back.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank :slight_smile: