SFZ Player from Squinky Labs

Interesting. for sure there are plenty of SFZ with “mistakes” in them. Default release is supposed to be 1ms. which is pretty fast for a low pitched drum… If you are a super nerd you could try playing the unmodified in the free sfzorzando player (the reference!). It if plays fine in there and make a bad sound in mine, it’s my bug - and logging in github will remind me to fix it. If you do log a bug, please include a link to where the instrument comes from.

Lol :rofl:

2 Likes

yes, and I am now kicking myself for forgetting the mention in the manual the various ways you actually can make it alias! Maybe in an update…

2 Likes

https://sfzformat.com/

SFZ format documentation (KVR)

https://sfzinstruments.github.io/

1 Like

I think the link to the main documentation (the first one) is in the manual?

Yeah might be, i just stumbled on this while googling for “SFZ creator”. Thought it might be valuable to share it in your thread for others that are looking for direct links for more information about SFZ.

1 Like

Yeah. That main one you linked to has a ton of stuff, including a list of tools. if that’s what you are looking for: SFZ Creation Tools - SFZ Format

1 Like

Yeah i was indeed looking to refresh my memory about all this. Cause i remember way back it was possible to go between SF2 and SFZ, but i forgot all about this.

Just now while lurking between those tools, i saw it mentioned there.

There are tons of funny/interesting old skool SF2 instruments probably still out there, that could be re-used and converted to SFZ.
Will spend some time on this soon :slight_smile:

You should for sure get the reference player, sfzorzando. It also claims to update. The real q I have with updating old sound fonts is there a compelling reason to do this, when there are so many awesome sfz around? Could be, I just don’t know.

1 Like

It’s just like crate-digging, there is no compelling reason to do that either, it is more a funny creative adventure :wink:

Oh, for sure. But if a lot of people want to dig in that crate it might be mean of me not to help.

1 Like

Me again, super nerding. I just opened a git-hub issue. Maybe someone can check if he/she/they can reproduce my issue. IvyAudio-PianoIn162-Close.sfz from Piano in 162. It seems to be just a velocity-layered SFZ without any note-off-samples or overlapping samples. It has a defined ampeg_release of 1.1, but I get the typical click-noise, when a sample is abruptly cut between zero-points. I loaded the same piano in sforzando in host and there it is playing with the correct release.

• mo

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “cut between zero points”. I guess you mean it just cuts out with no release? It’s true I don’t implement release samples, but I don’t remember that piano sounding bad. will check it out. tx. (That one is in the manual, and is my “go to” good sounding piano. But that doesn’t mean I always listen that carefully).

The Rites of Squink.

Please stay seated for the full one minute and 11 seconds. No refunds.

8 Likes

oh, that’s cool! How many samples you got loaded in there? Low strings, oboe, orchestral percussion? Are those the Versimilion sample libraries?

This module opens up a whole new purpose for Rack. SFZ libraries + Rack processing, natively, without routing faff = fantastic.

Thank you Squinky!!!

Love this :slightly_smiling_face:

WOW! That’s very cool :+1:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m hoping that @Omri_Cohen will pick this module up and show us the possibilities

1 Like

I have 4 samples going. Low strings, high strings, timpani and oboe (I had French horns too, but took those out). The samples are from http://virtualplaying.com/. The website owner, Paul Battersby, said he took the best free samples from Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, No-Budget-Orchestra, VSCO2 Community Edition, University of Iowa, Philharmonia Orchestra and extra free samples from Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra.

2 Likes