Seaside Modular Announcements Thread: v2.5.2

I second this. That is probably my least favorite thing when Proteus makes a wild octave shift. For many of my sequencer works, I limit the range to 1 octave or 1V, depending on what the sequencer allows.

1 Like

Yeah. I have the same gripe/problem with my Qu-Bit Bloom sequencer, which drastically lowers the utility of mutations, which is a real shame.

First tiny play around with itā€¦

It reminds me somewhat of Marbles but even better for melody generation.

8 Likes

Whatā€™s better than one melody generator? Two of course :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Will be trivial to add new scales with any subset of the 12 western notes. I have some ideas of how to get it to do other things as well, so weā€™ll see. Thanks for pointing me to Meander, looks really interesting!

3 Likes

These are great suggestions, thank you!

3 Likes

Meander is extraordinary and pairing Proteus with Meander is the very first thing I plan to do once I learn it. @k-chaffin has some lovely demos in the Meander development thread if you read down.

2 Likes

I popped into Rack this morning to give this module a quick spin. Itā€™s been three hours now.

A wonderful addition to the library - an instant favourite. Great work @abluenautilus. I look forward to more of your creations.

1 Like

Also, specifically, Itā€™s greatly appreciated to have a reset designed to work with Impromptu Clocked. Most sequencers do, but Bidooā€™s sequencers can get thrown off by the reset signal somehow. Clocked is kind of the defacto master time module, so any sequencer that doesnā€™t work with it is a bit irritating.

I typically send my master reset signal to Clocked and fan itā€™s Reset out from Clocked to all other modules that have a reset input.

Reset, octave range control, and new scales are already in the latest code, will submit a new version soon with those and more.

10 Likes

Fantastic module, very intuitive and produces some really interesting sequences.

1 Like

Version 2.1 of Proteus is now available in the library, with the following changes:

ā€¢ Added RESET jack

ā€¢ Density changes are now dynamic (notes fill in or disappear on the fly)

ā€¢ The lower switch now limits octave range (instead of direction), from 0 (no octave transpositions) 1 (+ or - 1 octave from the origin) or 2 (+ or - 2 octaves from the origin, the original setting)

ā€¢ Added Dorian and Chromatic scales

ā€¢ Proteus now saves its melody on save/autosave

ā€¢ Improved state persistence in general

ā€¢ Improved gate length handling (hopefully addresses bug where gate stays high on startup)

Enjoy!

14 Likes

Thank you! Looking forward to playing with it some moreā€¦

I appreciate the RESET input. This seems to work very well for helping me sync complex sequencer patches to the clock and other sequencers.

Your manual says " RESET - Resets the sequence to its first step.". Is this the only thing reset upon a reset signal does? I suppose if I want to create a new new sequence on reset, I can send the reset signal to NEW also? That seems to work, but just asking to be sure.

I like the changes. Thanks for making them.

I like the update a lot, itā€™s a nice improvement. I hope you wonā€™t infer any dislike from my continued feedback. Itā€™s just that I see its potential so much, and I want it to be ā€œall it can beā€, and to be able to use it to great satisfaction. So hereā€™s a bit more after playing with it today.

• The density knob has a bit of an issue for me. Itā€™s range is too large, for any particular setting. Where ever I set it, it can go from almost nothing happening to very busy. It can lead to the effect of ā€œthe sequence stallingā€, like it also does for the Turing machine, thatā€™s why I have the shift-pedal module in the patch below, to ā€œkick it back to lifeā€ when it happens. It would be really nice if the random algorithm could be reigned in somewhat, so that the range of leaving gates out would be much more constrained at any given setting.

• Since range=0 is now redundant with octave=0 it would be wonderful if you could change the range=0 setting to be the mode I suggested above, whereby not the whole sequence is transposed by octave (as now), but instead a possible octave transposition would happen tied to the random note introduced by the mutate knob. Hope you understand otherwise Iā€™ll elaborate.

• I would suggest that having CV for the scale is something that would be used very rarely. So I would love it if that input instead would be used for CV control of the mode. That I would find quite useful, akin to locking and unlocking the Turing Machine, and being able to sequence that.

Donā€™t get me wrong, itā€™s still a very nice module!

Hereā€™s my jam with it for today. Two instances of Proteus having at itā€¦

4 Likes

Yes, RESET only send you back to the first step, so you would have to send NEW and RESET at the same time if you wanted also to reset the melody. Or, you could send NEW before RESET I suppose.

1 Like

Lars, thanks very much for your feedback. I am very grateful for it and please keep it coming!

I agree with your first point and have noticed that too. The way it works is that the probability indicated by the knob (0-100%) is applied to each step in the sequence independently, so if the probability is low, say 10%, there is some chance that you will have no notes at all. This is somewhat annoying, and I will try to think of some potential fixes for this issue. It may be better to re-code so that the percentage determines the proportion of on notes directly, such that if the knob is set to 50%, you will always have half of the notes on.

For your second point, I do notice the redundancy of those two settings. That would be a good spot to add some additional behavior with respect to transposition. I can experiment with the kind of random transposition you are describing.

Yeah, youā€™re absolutely right, CV for scale is a rare usage. Probably better to have it for mode. Thanks for this one.

Love the jam!!

1 Like

Yes, I think that would be the better solution. :+1:

I will have to post some new Meander/Proteus music soon, but Iā€™m having too much fun discovering what all is possible to record :wink:

I made some really involved organ music yesterday with Meander, Proteus, Grande Quant and Tails and Qrgan Threes. As mentioned elsewhere, I use Quant to quantize to the Meander heptatonic or pentatonic scales. I had fun with the Meander Canon in Dmaj progression, which of course is Pachelbelsā€™s Canon.

I did encounter the situation mentioned above where Proteus goes ā€œsilentā€ for a while.

1 Like