Scanning single frequencies of a sample to send the to an V/oct of an oscillator

And random envelop/gate drivers. Could be in a certain way considered as a step sequencer.

When would these gate output generate a trigger (and/or gate)? As soon as (and/or as long as) the amplitude for the given frequency goes (or is) above zero?

And the envelope? I guess that would be solved via the ampitude output for the given frequency, which effectively “tracks” the ampitude for that given frequency.

Any “external” envelope (e.g. an amp envelope for some “external” oscillator) could be triggered from the assumed trigger/gate outputs.

I don’t want to use the output of the filter as an audible sound, just want the pitch and the amplitude. And with a V/oct value and a gate/trigger you can do many things. Depending of the sound source (sample or whatever else), that can be interesting. I prefer this way, more “organic” than algorithm to generate unclocked and random pitches.

2 Likes

This could be very interesting. So the frequency content of a sample IS your sequencer. Cool.

Yep. But now the challenge is to make music out of this !!! :rofl:

Thanks to all of you to have lead the VCV noob I am into the mysteries of this beautiful toy. Now I have to dive in the ocean of oscillators.

1 Like

It would be really interesting,
if you could upload an example patch, that would show this frequency scanning in action.
Just for us to learn how it could work.

1 Like

I suspect the PEQ will remain your choice for your “oscillator”, it looks to have a great interface for that. The VCF would require more components, and it can produce such a pure tone that it can become sterile in comparison.

But for the OP I think the VCF will be superior at extracting information about a single frequency.

And the VCF band pass is definitely worth exploring in general.

Sorry about muddying the waters.

Your project is very intriguing, and like @rsmus7, I’d love to see what you end up producing.

That is true. The VCF has a much finer bandwidth. And I’m starting to really like this filter. It’s just so unique.

Just define music as some more or less intended ordering of sounds in time. Then you can’t go wrong.

Though that definition would exclude the famously controversial 4:33 of silence by John Cage…

I know, I was just meaning, something interesting not just another drone

:laughing: what’s wrong with 4:33. It has possibly the greatest drone of all time.

Have you checked out Prism rainbow?

An adjustable resonant bandpass filter with all sort of options that you might find very usefull in your quest.

Prism has other related tools as well:

1 Like

Oh my, I just dabbled with that a tiny bit, and it is very cool. Definitely seems very relevant.

A drone in a Cage ?

That is very common with MaxMsp ou PureData. Bur easier and more “sexy” with VCV :wink:

I’ve been looking at it, very very interesting !! But If I understood it well, it’s a sound generator, kind of odd oscillator, right ? It cant take audio signal input, but gate input. Thanks for this idea. Too many toys in VCV rack !

No, it definitely takes in audio. If you don’t pass in your own audio, it uses internal noise. It then isolates a set of frequencies from that noise source, and I think uses resonance to enhance the output. I’m pretty sure it is doing exactly what you are looking for. It has built in envelope followers as well, though I didn’t try them out.

I didn’t find where to input audio. The poly in input is for gate input to excite the filters if I understood well. Where do you input audio ?

Edit : OK effectively one can input audio. I need to dive a bit into this module, thanks.

Yes, it is possible to use an FFT module to analyze the frequency content of an audio sample. However, the specific implementation will depend on the modular synthesis system and software being used. If you’re not an expert, seek professional advice from reliable guys, such as those from https://smartengines.com/. To isolate a single frequency from a sample and return a V/oct value usable in an oscillator, you may need to use additional filtering. One approach could be to use a bandpass filter. It’s important to note that the quality and accuracy of the frequency analysis will depend on the resolution and accuracy of the FFT module used. Besides, the quality of the filtering and processing modules used to isolate also matter.