Regen Modular v2.0.5 (for Rack v2) is out now!

NOTE: Latest updates will be posted separately. Check later in the thread below!

Hey everyone.

Emmet here. I’m one half of Studio Regen (along with my brother and friend Eoin) and we just put out a new pack of 10 original modules, called Regen Modular, for just $20 on the VCV Library.

In no particular order, Regen Modular consists of:

Cyclex VCO and LFO

A pair of unique polyphonic oscillators that generate sound using simplex noise loops. A set of buttons at the top of the module allows for manipulating the internal seed, which not only creates a new noise space but also alters other internal parameters, giving each seed number its own distinct timbre. The detail knob acts kind of like a filter, blending smoothly from basic waves to something complex and harmonically rich, while the ratio knob ‘warps’ the internal noise space, creating a subtle effect that’s (very loosely) analogous to duty or phase modulation. I don’t think there’s any existing software or hardware oscillator that works or sounds quite like Cyclex, so it’s been really fun to design and play with.

Frames

Frames is a sequencer in the style of tracker software. Capable of storing up to 256 patterns, with 16 frames per pattern, and 1 note plus 3 parameter values per frame, it’s pretty beefy while still maintaining a pretty small footprint. Notes can be turned off or set to legato, the active pattern can be changed via note-aligned CV, and the module emits a signal each time the sequence wraps back to the first frame.

Nessie Triangle, Pulse, Noise, and Saw

The Nessie modules are all VCOs that emulate the classic sound of the 2a03 and vrc6 NES sound chips. These are recreations of shamelessly nostalgic sounds that we all love, and we’ve tried to strike a nice balance of staying true to the retro chip sound while also making fun and usable modules. Especially when paired with Frames, Nessie can inject a bit of chippy goodness into your patch.

Triangle, Pulse and Saw are polyphonic.

Quan

Quan is a polyphonic chromatic pitch quantizer with a couple of neat features including 2 distribution modes and a gate trigger output that fires each time the quantization threshold is passed.

Const and XFade

Finally we have the two utility modules, Const and XFade. Const is a constant DC voltage generator that operates in either the -5V~5V or the 0V~10V range, and XFade is a simple polyphonic crossfader that interpolates between two inputs and can be controlled by CV.

The full details about all of our modules can be found in our manual page.

Also, here’s a short demo/trailer containing various weird example patches that we put together. We can’t wait to see what other people do with our modules, so if you end up picking them up and playing around with them let us know what you make. =]

Questions? Comments? Let me have em! Oh and, finally, follow us here, on twitter and on youtube for the latest.

Thanks everybody! – Emmet.

16 Likes

I love it

I have no time to try all , I just tested the the VCOs, but I really want to try the tracker (renoise user here) have it the same functionalities of the mostly trackers (like effect commands and tics per line ) that allow for instance get some delay, glide,vibrato, provability, , etc?

congrast for the release!

(btw, 3d rigger here, beautiful portfolio)

1 Like

Hey David, thanks for the kind words and support.

For Frames, our tracker, we’ve opted for an approach that we think suits the modular rack environment. So instead of having ticks-per-line, timing is driven completely by an external clock signal (which could be anything from a simple square wave LFO or a signal from another dedicate clock module).

And when it comes to effects, we’ve included 3 “parameter columns” per line/frame that drive the CV outputs A, B, and C. Of course, they can patched to control just about anything and it’s also totally possible to load up multiple frames modules and arrange them in interesting ways.

In other words, Frames definitely doesn’t have all of the features that you’d find in a full tracker like Renoise, Fametracker, Deflemask, etc., but it’s been designed from the ground up in the spirit of modular, so I think there’s a lot to be explored. =]

2 Likes

nice to see more modules out of Portland :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally a tracker style sequencer! Haven’t tried it yet, but i’m sure this will be fun. The other modules seem to be pretty cool, too.

I’m not sure if this one is available for Rack v1:

1 Like

Thank you for the hint, will take a look, but first i need to try the Regen Frames.

Frames

As of now, the pattern editor is only editable using a mouse to click and drag on individual cells.

Don’t read it before. :cry:

@emmetoneill.pdx Please add keyboard support for Frames to your agenda. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Frames is mouse only for now, sorry. Hopefully you’ll still be able to use it alright. We’ve tried to make the controls as easy and intuitive as possible, but I know that tracker users are generally used to keyboard input. We have a quick list of all of the controls in our user manual.

On the bright side, we’ve got a proposal issue on our boards for adding proper keyboard programming support to Frames, and we’ve talked about some ways that we might be able to do it properly. I don’t want to make any promises just yet, but it’s definitely on our radar.

3 Likes

Super awesome. I’m no developer, so i unfortunately have no clue what is possible with the Rack API, but if possible maybe grab the input with a combination of key + mouse click (like Renoise does with ALT+Left Click to “focus” a area)?

1 Like

Key focusing works in Rack with the onSelectKey() and onSelectText() event handlers. The Select event must be consumed by the widget, or APP->event->setSelected() must be called at some point.

3 Likes

I think Frames could use a control for the length of the sequence. Just a thought.

We’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the input. =]

For now, one thing you can do is use one of the parameter columns to control the sequence length. Experiment with patching the output of one of the parameters into the “reset” input.

1 Like

Yeah, we’re thinking about something along those lines. We’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

Yeah! Lived here basically my whole life and I plan on keeping it that way. Love this town! Are you from Portland too?

yes, as is @almostEric, though he has moved across the pond.

@emmetoneill.pdx I have two other another feature suggestion for Frames. :slight_smile:

• Possibility to move notes up or down in the pattern editor.
  • A label to give individual Frames instances a name.

Edit: After thinking about it, moving notes isn’t necessery when keyboard support is implemented.

1 Like

Nice new set of modules. The Tracker is one I have been waiting for, however with out Keyboard Control it is sort of crippled,. for fast editing anyway. Will watch for updates!

1 Like

Thanks wacheski!

We appreciate the frank feedback and we’ve started working on Frames keyboard input.

1 Like

Frames is great! I am also eager to be able to control it with the keyboard. Also, do you envision an extension where we could add more columns for examples?

Although I understand that you want to rely on the external clock for the ticks per line, I agree with @David about the idea of adding delay, slodes, glide, probability and even ratcheting as in Sunvox, Renoise, etc. Impromptu modular sequencers allow for this kind of thing, and it is brilliant. For me, Frames would then be the ultimate sequencer in VCV Rack, and I can see uses for it even outside of the box!

Anyway, all these suggestions just to say that I am delighted by the existence of Frames, keep up the good work!

1 Like